Chapter XV (Percy)

A couple of cheers went up before Percy started calling out orders. Ropes were untied and repositioned, sails were loosened and people grabbed on when the son of Poseidon concentrated. In no time the ship- with the help of his water control- surged from the docks and was sailing freely upon the ocean once again, barely missing the rocks near the shore. Everyone couldn't help but watch as Athens faded away each mile they sailed, until eventually it was nothing but a speck in the distance. It went as quickly as he arrived at the city, and with the swell headwinds beating against the sails, the ship was continuing its rapid pace. The water split and parted before Blackjack, allowing little resistance compared to other ships sailing the waters. Altogether, Percy's enthusiasm was at its highest. 

"So, Captain, where to now?"

Percy turned from the rails at the sound of her voice. His eyes fell upon Annabeth making her way up the stairs on the side, a smile on her face. The good mood had obviously touched her as well. The wind whipped golden curls across her face when she came to stand close by him, her sights set on the horizon. 

He lent his back on the rails and folded his arms, his own smile playing at the corners of his mouth.

"You tell me. That is the navigator's job, is it not?" he said. 

"You've obviously never had more than three people aboard your vessel, have you?" she retorted, "The Captain gives a location, the crew makes sure they all get there."

Percy laughed lightly. "I imagine we can do better." 

Annabeth didn't need to reply, for the humour in her eyes said enough.

The choice to hand Annabeth the title of Quartermaster and navigator wasn't a hard one. And when she heard the news she didn't appear surprised, just more like she was expecting it. After all, she was the most experienced one aboard the ship who possessed more knowledge on such matters. 

"You reckon they will last long?" she said, directing her question to those aboard.

Grover- of course being the first mate- was also in charge of navigation, working besides Annabeth. Tyson remained as the ship's boatswain. His skills were greatly fitted to the job, and the big guy had no problems, often than not completing tasks excellently. Will became the ship's surgeon and part time musician without hesitation, the Stoll brother's gunners and Katie had volunteered herself for the position of chef. That had left Piper and Hazel, but it was quickly discovered that Hazel's stomach was not used to the rocking of the boat, so in the end Piper was watching over a sick Hazel and making sure the Roman didn't get overly ill.

"Of course they will," he said, "there is a reason to why I picked them."

At first she didn't seem willing to respond. But in the end she turned to him with a look of doubt and said, "If we are to face a potential army threat, this will not be enough to even undertake a scouting mission." 

"We are on our way to more potential crew members as we speak."

Annabeth lifted an eyebrow. "And where would they be?" 

"First stop, Ermione."

**********

Percy puffed his small pillow before chucking it in the end of the hammock. He couldn't really call it a pillow; that was too generous, it was really just different clothing material bunched together. But it did the job well, and nobody else was complaining. He had claimed the hammock closest to the stairs leading onto the deck, encase there was an emergency and he'd have to rush out. 

For the woman, the hammock area had been split in half with a makeshift, wooden wall for privacy. Tyson had been given the task, and with the limited materials given to him, the job was pretty well done.