Chapter XXX (Annabeth)

The last thing Annabeth could do was sleep.

Her body ached, her eyes drooped, but no matter how hard she tried easing herself into an unconscious state, she just couldn't. The constant, steady waves lapping against the side of the boat did nothing to lull her. The ship's easy swaying didn't offer any aid. It seemed that every time something squeaked or squealed in the dark she'd come back to full attention, waiting for something to jump at her from the shadows. That's probably why she found herself sleeping with her dagger beneath the pillow every night. They were surrounded by leagues of water, but still her paranoia remained.

It only took an hour of lying restlessly against the mattress for Annabeth to give up. She parted from the sheets and padded across the floorboards in her bare feet, lighting the lamp on the other side of the bed. A soft, warm glow settled over her surroundings. She could make out the wooden bed posts and red, silky coverings, the wooden bedside tables and dresser against the opposite wall, as well as the burgundy, patterned wallpaper. The area was only small, even though the bed was of moderate size. It had been closed off and concealed by a silky, silver curtain.

Annabeth puffed out a breath of air, wrapping the light robe tighter to her body, tying it off around her waist to conceal her linen sleeping garments. If sleep couldn't distract her she'd have to find something else to. She had half a mind to continue sorting through the endless piles of maps and papers scattered across the top of the dresser. But she knew it'll do no good, no more than it already had. And the daughter of Athena had already snooped around the Captain's quarters the night she first spent in it. Nothing had given Annabeth the insight she had wanted. Nothing even remotely came close to giving the General some history about the son of Poseidon. The only things he'd left behind were the minimal assortment of clothes within drawers and a broad, leather tri-corn hat with a small, golden thread of trimming. She had never even seen Percy wear anything atop his head besides an old bandanna. The hat had just been resting dejectedly against the headboard of the bed.

She sighed and picked up the lantern. Annabeth moved towards the curtain and shifted it aside, stepping out into the main room. There she was greeted with the extravagant wooden carvings and designed archways, the ceiling corners the same design. A large embroidered rug occupied the centre of the room, a hefty floor globe standing beside a bench. Even the few brass torch brackets embedded in the walls contained some extravagant design. However, that seemed to be the only sign of luxury. Shelves rain across a couple of walls, although remained completely empty. Not a single book, parchment or ornament decorated the space. No paintings had been hung, no signs of loot or other expensive materials in sight. Besides from the couple of discarded drachmas on the table the area was pretty bare and plain compared to other quarters she had been in.

Although, no other quarters could equal to Annabeth's favourite place in the room. At the very back a long, mahogany desk had been placed with an impressive, high backed chair. Both had an intricate design carved along its legs and along the edges, each section containing a scene or telling a story. More maps and pieces of parchment had been spread across the table top, cutesy of her arrival. And even though the table's design was something to be impressed by, nothing could compare to grand, glass, full-length featured window spreading from one wall to the other, showing off the view of the star laddered sea beyond. Large red, golden trimmed curtains had been drawn back and secured on each side, allowing Annabeth the pleasure of admiring the scenery.

She sat the lantern on the table, and it was within that chair she sat, turning it so she faced the window. It was quite a place, allowing her to ease her mind and simply think. Thoughts of the crew came to mind, wondering if everyone had settled after the day's harrowing events. Thoughts of home threatened to distract her, and the occasional image of Percy's disappointed look popped into view. She did her best to shake them off when they came. She'd worry about the captain later. There was little the daughter of Athena could do to assure him her reasoning had been justified. Annabeth will let him sit on it, possibly stew for a couple of days until eventually he'd come around. But she couldn't help the shame that burrowed itself within her chest. Their whole argument was undignified. The words they had both said were uncalled for and childish. It certainly would've had an impression on everyone that bore witness.