Chapter III (Percy)

"So," he commented trying to get things started, "how long were you lurking in the shadows."

Her eyes roamed his body, and Percy could tell she was sizing him up, looking for weaknesses.

"Lurking? Barely. I came just behind Clarisse," she said, "just in time to witness Will healing you with his ability."

Percy would have let out a sigh of relief had he been by himself. She hadn't heard the whole conversation.

He shrugged, "Will's an excellent person to talk to. Much more welcoming then others." He let himself smile at the end. Annabeth looked like she hadn't heard a word of what he'd just said. Her eyes stayed on his for a considerable amount of time, making him feel slightly uncomfortable.

"You are hiding something," she said all of a suddenly. Percy's uncertain smile became an uncertain frown.

He tried playing it off. "Everybody has something to hide."

"True, but it's more than that," he gulped as she continued, "normal people would have been terrified had they known children of the Gods existed like they do now, so many being in the one area. But not you. So why, Jackson, is that so?"

"I needed someone to heal me." When all Annabeth did was glare at him he tried changing the subject. "What about you, Annabeth Chase? I'm sure there's a story somewhere."

"As have you," she said, deflecting Percy's question.

"Nah," he grinned, "mine's more of a play."

She drew her dagger. Percy took a couple of hesitant steps backwards as he watched the General throw the weapon back and forth between her hands. The scene didn't scare him, but he would prefer it if he could finish off his day without being speared. His hand slowly moved to his pocket.

"Oh calm down. If I wanted you dead I would have let Clarisse finish you off," she said noticing his movement. Percy had no doubt in his mind that the girl standing in front of him was none other than a Demigod, but which parent did she have?

"Hasn't your mother ever taught you manners? It's rude to throw a dagger around someone's face," he mocked. Her eyes turned steely grey, forcing a shiver to run down his spine.

"My mother doesn't have the time to care, nor does my father."

He silently praised her for not letting anything slip, no matter how much it annoyed him. The girl was skilled in speech craft. Aphrodite? He thought, but the notion vanished as soon as it came. He had met children of the love goddess before, and none of them even came close to being like Annabeth. What about Ares? She seems to be a fighter. But saying that, you didn't have to be a child of the war god to be good in battle. Battle, he thought excitedly, battle strategies.

"What are you thinking?" She said taking him out of his thoughts.

Percy gave her one big, smug smile. "Athena. She's your mother." Before the prisoner could even react, Annabeth closed the gap between them and held her dagger against his throat, the metal cold against his skin. But the scary thing wasn't the blade; it was the dark look in her eyes.

"So you figured it out, good for you." Her tone was icy, and Percy had to resist smiling. He managed to annoy her. Even if he was being held at death point, he congratulated himself for achieving the small victory. However the smug feeling was wiped away with her next sentence. "Who's your parent?"

He tried to appear confused. "Are you suggesting I'm anything more than a mortal?"

"I'm not suggesting it, I'm telling you."