Chapter XIV (Percy)

Percy's excitement grew to a crescendo that morning when he woke up with only one thought. 

We are setting sail!

Jumping from his mattress, he scurried around his allocated sleeping quarters trying to find his equipment. His boots were found at opposite ends of the room, his sash hanging across a chair. And somehow, he had to try and wrestle his shirt from beneath a chest of draws. No sheath or belt were present, and he did feel exposed without it, but those items were confiscated the day he was captured and interrogated. He'd have to stop at a dock at some stage and purchase a new one. 

Percy exited the room with a skip in his step every now and then, trying to stop himself from running. In the end he was jogging through the corridors with a grin plastered across his face. His hair was dishevelled and he doubted he looked very presentable, but the thoughts didn't stop him from running towards the General's quarters. Years of experienced saved him from barrelling into servants preparing for the day and keeping his balance when he rounded a corner too fast.

When he did find himself in front of the right door, he pounded against the wood. 

"Annabeth!" he shouted, "Come on!"

He stopped and leaned closer, listening for any signs of movement. When he heard nothing he continued knocking on the door before something large collided with it on the other side, making him jump back in surprise. 

"Go away you methusai," he heard, but the words were slightly muffled because of the wall between.

Percy laughed loudly and knocked one more time. 

"We are setting sail! We must go!" He shouted back.

This time he waited for what felt like a good few minutes. It was nearly in his intentions to barge in and wake Annabeth up. But finally he heard movement, and five minutes later the door opened in front of him to reveal a scraggy, messed up Annabeth. She donned a new outfit consisting of a sailor's white shirt and brown baggy pants which tucked neatly into a pair of black, buttoned boots. The golden princess curls were tied back into a pony tail, and her grey eyes were as startling as ever. 

She scowled at him. "You vlákas, we leave closer to the middle of the day, not the early hours."

"But it is time," he insisted, pouting all the while. 

Her scowl turned into a questioning glance, and soon enough she went back inside her room only to return a minute later looking annoyed.

"Fine, let us prepare," she said. 

Percy beamed and started to run off, but thought better of it and stayed by Annabeth's side. He admitted, he was jumpy and nervous. But the excitement was there too. His ship was filled with a new crew and on a journey, not some pointless voyage. It was about time he did something more than just sail from coast to coast, stopping in at random taverns and then having to leave as soon as he arrived. Now he had a goal, and he was determined to reach it. The only possible setback was the General. He didn't know how she ran things, but he knew they'd never be able to work together unless they found some common ground. Percy was still her captive, after all, and he couldn't forget that.

**********

The small crowd bustling amongst the ship's large shadow parted when they saw Percy and Annabeth approaching. The son of Poseidon greeted them all at once with a grin and a wave of the hand. The General simply nodded. Some smiled back, others were too busy eyeing the Blackjack. Percy spotted Connor and Travis Stoll near the lowered gangplank stuffing what seemed to be small pots of ink into their pockets. Katie Gardner was beside the two shaking her head, and Will was trying to reach a hand out to touch the boat without falling into the sea water parting the vessel from the docks. Piper was blocking the sun from her eyes with a hand as she stood back to catch the full view of the ship-Hazel right beside her drawing in the dirt with a stick- but as soon as they spotted Annabeth and him they smiled and waved.