Chapter XXXI (Percy)

The morning sun rose earlier than expected.

Percy groaned and forced his eyes open, squinting against the harsh rays of light invading his vision. He could tell he was lying on the floor. The uneven planks of wood dug into his back uncomfortably. And he was outside. He could hear the waves crashed against the Blackjack's hull, loud and consistent.

Shaking of the drowsiness, Percy tried pulling himself up into a sitting position. He managed, but not without the searing pain flaring around his midriff. He winced, wheezed and lied back down, covering his arm around the area. Last night's activities came rushing into his mind. He recalled Travis and Conor's run of shame after cheating Piper of her money. He remembered Beckendorf's awkward dancing and apologies as he stepped on Silena's feet over and over again. Then, of course, there was the conversation with Annabeth, and shortly after, the dancing. He regretted that last part immensely.

Last night, the moment the music had awoken him on the figure head, he knew he'd struggle to simply make it back onto the deck. But he persisted, and he stuffed the pain away to the back of his mind when he made it in front of his crew. He'd hidden it even further once he spoke with Annabeth. The dancing near killed him. But the General's large smile and vibrant laugh kept him going. Admittedly, not one of his finest choices.

A shadow blocked out the sun looming above him.

"You right, Cap?" Percy looked up at the face of Hazel, her golden eyes looking down at him in concern.

"'m fine." He accepted the hand she offered to help him up, grimacing with the movement. As soon as he was on his feet he leant forward awkwardly, a hand pressurising the area. "Maybe not."

Hazel nodded and helped him along the deck, passing others who had fallen asleep there as well. Leo had just woken up, stumbling to and fro and falling over Travis's still unconscious body. Somehow Katie ended up sleeping on the sail's beam above, balancing precariously. Percy knew those three had dived into the mead, so that probably explained their antics. Everyone must've made it back to their hammocks. Question was, how had he ended up sleeping on the deck?

"Careful now," the daughter of Pluto warned as she led him down the hatch.

They arrived at the makeshift infirmary shortly after. A small bed had been crafted out of soft materials, an extra pillow being brought down from the captain's quarter. Will had set up his medical supplies in a crate beside the bed. Wrappings, bottles and alcohols had been placed inside, the more important items such as herbs, remedies and other solutions secured safely inside a small chest. Other than that, nothing else occupied the little space. Everything had been kept as clean as possible.

As soon as Percy and Hazel came stumbling in, Will - who had been asleep against the crates in the corner - roused immediately. His blue eyes looked up in surprise, squinting at them until he realised the situation.

"What happened?" the son of Apollo asked as he jumped to his feet, previous fatigue gone in an instant. He moved towards Hazel and helped ease Percy onto the bed.

"Crushed my stomach," was all the Captain got out before grimacing with the movement of sitting again. He was immediately lowered onto his beck.

"I think it had something to do with the escape last evening," Hazel spoke to Will, "When Tyson pulled them in."

She moved aside as Will went to work, peeling off Percy's shirt and inspecting the mentioned injury. The son of Poseidon didn't like the looks on either of their faces.

Will cursed. "Why didn't you come directly to the infirmary afterwards? This could've been avoided you moron."

Percy would've chuckled if it wasn't him with the pain. "That bad?"