Chapter Thirty-five:

Grasping the handle, Hel slid the hefty metal door shut with great care. She turned around to face Buffy and folded her arms across her chest.

Standing beside a police telephone box, painted Prussian blue, Buffy gestured for her to proceed.

Rolling her eyes, Hel approached the set of wooden double-doors and pushed the right side open. She barely bothered to glance at the vast interior, heading straight for the hexagonal console.

The six panels contained a variety of levers, buttons, and switches. Red tubes of fluorescence were contained within the cylindrical glass trunk that dominated the very centre of the console room. Curved along the steel rail that encompassed the round platform were two more panels, one closer to the entrance and the opposite directly opposite.

Sighing, she clasped the edge and leaned forward. "You've redecorated." Hel remarked offhandedly.

"I have, actually." The Doctor replied, both hands shoved into his charcoal-grey trouser pockets as he made his way down from the bordering balcony, descending one of three staircases.

He was tall and lanky, with a head of silver curls. In spite of the mature creases lining his features, there was something unforgettable about his face, attractive even. His piercing, icy blue eyes held hers. A black waistcoat was buttoned over his white dress shirt, his navy jacket lined by red silk and hemmed at a few inches above the knee.

"What do you think?"

"I don't like it."

Strolling towards her, he smirked faintly. "Didn't think you would."

"You've regenerated since I last saw you."

"Yes, I have."

"Shame." She turned slowly on her heels, regarding him calmly. "I was rather fond of that quirky bow tie."

His expression was characteristically unreadable. "It was time for a change."

"You've met?" Buffy blurted from behind them, incredulous.

With a snap of her fingers, Hel swung the door shut behind her.

"On many occasions, in fact." The Doctor pivoted to face Buffy. "Now then, have there been any other sightings of those statues?"

"I dunno, maybe." She answered vaguely.

Hel rolled her eyes, trailing her index finger delicately along the border of the console as she strode around to the far side. "How very helpful."

"Any recent disappearances? People gone missing?" The Doctor prompted.

"Actually, yes. Well, sort of." Buffy admitted. "Just last night, a woman was heard screaming. A witness thought it came from the direction of the very same cemetery where I met you."

Hel descended the nearby staircase, approaching one of the circular wall decals and opening it to reveal storage hidden behind. She removed a bottle of brandy from the small cupboard and poured herself a shot. She raised the small glass in salute. "Cheers."

She brought the rim to her lips and tossed back the contents. The mouthful of liquor burned a stinging trail down her throat. The pungent and bitter taste lingered on her tongue.

The Doctor stared down at her in disbelief. "How is it possible that I never noticed that cupboard?"

Hel closed the cupboard, then turned and ascended the steps, joining his side. "Shall we?"

"We shall." He entered coordinates on the keyboard, then reached for the lever to his right.

With an abrupt downward yank, a violent tremor rumbled to life and reverberated beneath their feet. The florescent tube pumped up and down within the centre glass column. Buffy gripped the rail beside her for balance as the entire console room shook.

There was a loud wheezing noise as the TARDIS engines calmed, and the Doctor cranked the lever to stabilise their landing. A final, softly resounding boom signalled their arrival.

"Why do you always leave the parking break on?" Hel questioned, raising her eyebrows at him.

He confronted her, folding his arms across his chest in a gesture of defiance. "You know what? You're as bad as River."

She smirked, gazing up at him smugly. "You flatter me."

In spite of himself, a fleeting smile crept onto his lips.

"Well?" Buffy interrupted, drawing attention to herself. "What's the plan?"

"Hold this." The Doctor retrieved a banana from the depths of his jacket pocket and tossed it at Buffy.

She snatched it from the air before it had a chance to hit the floor.

"Excellent reflexes." He noted. "You'll do."

Her expression was anything but impressed. "Why am I holding a banana?"

"You might need the potassium."

She stared at him in bewilderment.

Hel headed for the exit, pulled open the left side door, and crossed the threshold. The TARDIS had landed in Buffy's house, parked smack in the middle of the front foyer. She entered the living room and plunked herself on the couch, sinking into the cushions.

The Doctor and Buffy followed close behind her.

"So, Doctor," Hel regarded him expectantly. "Plan?"

"First things first," he began, "we're going to need bait."

As if on cue, Xander meandered into the living room, a slice of buttered toast in one hand. His pale blue shirt was wrinkled, the top two buttons undone and the collar of his white undershirt peeked out through the gap.

Just as he bit into his toast, Buffy, Hel, and the Doctor all turned to him in unison.

His brown eyes widened. "What?" He blurted, his voice muffled by a mouthful of bread.