The Makeover [11]

The Makeover
CHAPTER 11 (EDITED)

“The beginning of love is to let those we love be perfectly themselves, and not to twist them to fit our own image. Otherwise we love only the reflection of ourselves we find in them.” ― Thomas Merton

                                  Rosalie Johnson

I flipped my phone in my hands and tried for the millionth time to see if it was working.

It was not.

I sighed and rolled onto my stomach and got out of bed. It was morning and I had to get ready for school. I couldn't afford to be a late again.

I wasn't in the mood to do much today. I took a quick shower, brushed my hair, and pulled on a pair of sweats and an overly large sweatshirt. It was still winter, so I didn't look too ridiculous. Opening my door, I was greeted with a red eyed, messy haired Dawn who was climbing up the stairs. He looked dead tired.

"Are you just getting in?" I questioned. I remembered he left last night to go meet his fuck buddy― I mean girlfriend.

Dawn nodded his head lazily.

"Didn't get any sleep," he muttered as he opened his bedroom door and slammed it shut. Geez, was he trying to wake up the whole neighborhood? I shook my head, and continued my trudge down the stairs. Left, right, left, right, I repeated over and over again in my head as I took each step down the stairs.

Walking into the kitchen, I spotted my dad making a cup of coffee with the daily newspaper tucked under his arm.

"Morning angel," my dad called out without even turning to me. I shot him a glare, and stuck out my tongue. My dad simply laughed as he poured himself a freshly made batch of coffee.

"Don't be so glum chum," my dad joked as he took a sip from his drink. I turned away and gave him the silent treatment.

"Ah, so were at this stage," my dad chuckled. Why does he find this so amusing? He should be upset that his only daughter was ignoring him. This only makes me more determined to ignore him.

"Do you need a ride to school?" He questioned.

I shrugged.

"Is Amber picking you up?" He asked.

I shrugged.

"Ah, I see what's going on. You're giving me the silent treatment, aren't you?" My dad noted, and I shrugged. My dad shook his head in amusement.

"You're just like your mother," He muttered under his breath, as he finished his cup of coffee off and put the mug into the dirty sink.  

"Your mother and I are going go see Dr. Lain today." My dad stated.

"You are?" I blurted out on impulse and I felt like smacking myself in the head. Okay, so the silent treatment didn't last very long. But I didn't let it affect me. I just gave him a questioning look and waited for him to explain.

He smirked in triumph, but he let out a sigh that told me he was truly worried.

"She hasn't been feeling well lately, so I made an appointment yesterday." I nodded my head in understanding. My mom has been dead tired lately, during the day she would put a bright smile on her face and act like nothing was wrong, but at night you could tell that things were really starting to take a toll on her body.

I mean, it wasn't not unusual, but something just seems off and my mother wasn't that old. She was only forty-two. However, yesterday was the worst I've ever seen her and that was because she had to work so many shifts at the hospital. So I could understand why my dad was stressing out on her slightly.

He sighed and hugged me before leaving the kitchen altogether heading up the stairs.

A horn honked outside and I looked at the time in shock. I haven't had breakfast yet and Amber was already here. Strange, usually Amber comes really late, like five minutes before the bell.

I quickly grabbed a granola bar and my back pack before heading to the front door. Oh, shoot, my shoes. I put my bag down and pushed open the closet door  and dug deep to find a pair of running shoes. They were crushed under my brother's Nike's. I pulled them out and slipped them on.

I scowled as I opened the door with my bag and things in hand. Only I wasn't greeted by Amber's car parked in my driveway, but Christopher's car. What was he doing here? I closed my front door and locked it before heading to the sexy BMW. One day I'm going to convince him to let me drive that beauty.

As I approached the car, Christopher came out looking crazy good. He wore a pair of dark jeans, navy blue sneakers and a hoodie to match. Only this time his hoodie was pulled down to reveal his chiseled good looks and messy black curls that framed his face.

"Hey, what are you doing here?" I asked curiously as he pulled me into a hug and planted a kiss on my forehead.

"Are you not happy to see me?" Christopher questioned, a frown marring his beautiful face.

"No, of course I am. I just wasn't expecting you," I stated and he grinned happily. I wish he would wear his hoodie down more often.

"Well, I texted you, but you never responded."

I puffed my cheeks and crossed my arms, "my dad ended my contract as punishment for skipping school," I bit out. The amusement literally lit up Christopher's grey eyes as he tried not to laugh. I punched him in the arm and shot him a deadly glare.

"It's all your fault. How dare you convince me to skip school like that?" I pouted.

Christopher just smiled and shook his head before leaning down to whisper in my ear, "I think we have an audience," sending shivers down my spine in a good way.

Reluctantly, I dragged my eyes away from Christopher and to my house and surprise, surprise, there my father was watching Christopher and I with a deep scowl on his face. Oh my god, I felt like burying myself in a hole. I blushed and turned away from my house to look at Christopher with a wary expression.

"So I take it your dad doesn't like me much," Christopher joked.

I smiled slightly. "He doesn't know you," I stated.

"Not many people do," he pointed out.

"True," I agreed.

"Come on, let's get to school," he said as he walked over to the passenger door and held it open.

"Thanks."

Christopher shrugged and closed the door once I was seated comfortably inside.

"So what made you decide to drive me to school today?" I questioned.

Christopher shrugged as he put the car into drive and started backing out of the driveway, "I thought that's what boyfriends do."

I nodded my head in understanding.

We sat there for a moment of silence, before I suddenly remembered something really important.

"Oh, Robert called my house last night," I grinned. Christopher gave me a questioning look and I realized he probably didn't remember who he was.

"He's the one who came to my house and thought that I should be featured on the magazine with your brother. He sent an e-mail of what it's going to look like. I haven't had the chance to look at it yet because I don't have Internet." Oddly enough Christopher tensed at this. His eyes turned a steely grey and his hands tightened on the steering wheel as if he was angry about something. But he smiled nonetheless, but I could tell it was strained.

"Really? That's nice," was all he said sounding the least bit happy about it. I wasn't sure what to say anymore. He didn't seem as excited about it as he was yesterday when I told him the magazine would be coming out onto stands.

"Yeah, I was planning on going to the library during lunch to go look at it on the computer. I was wondering if you wanted to see it? We could go before the first bell rings since ..." I trailed off. His face looked sour before the smile returned.

"Sure," he nodded.

After that the ride was quiet and it wasn't a good kind of quiet.

By the time we parked at the school I was more than happy to get out the car. The atmosphere was so tense, it was slowly crushing me. Not literally of course.

Christopher pulled his hoodie up before following me out the car trailing right behind me.

No one was really here so I took a chance and grabbed his hand. He instantly shook my hand off. The brooding and dark Christopher was back and I imagined his eyes held sympathy as he turned his head in my direction.

We walked quietly to the library through the empty halls. The dim light in the library provided a relaxing aura, different from the one standing right next to me.

I went straight to the computers and sat down on a chair with Christopher sitting in the one next to me. I typed my student ID number and my password in and waited for the computer to load.

"What's wrong Christopher ?" I questioned.

"Nothing is wrong ... Just tired I suppose," he stated. That was such a terrible lie. but I let it go, just like how I let go of Christopher's hoodie situation.

"Alright," I murmured.

When the computer finally finished loading, I clicked on the Internet browser and typed in my e-mail, and just like Robert promised, he sent the photo's.

I clicked on the attached photo's before my nerves got the best of me. I gaped at the image that appeared. The cover could be only described in two words: dark and dangerous.

My dark hair fell into waves down my back, as I wore a tube top, leather pants and a studded leather jacket. All of it was black. Ashton was dressed very similar to me, with his wind swept hair, wearing dark jeans and a black t-shirt that hugged his muscles in all the right place. In the photo, I clutched a large golden 'M', which I later learned stood for Maakie which translated to Maria, Roberts fiancee,  and Ashton had his arms wrapped around me.

It was ... amazing!

I looked over to Christopher as he leaned over my shoulder. I wanted to see his expression. Was he happy? Was he disappointed? Why won't he say anything?! He took the mouse and zoomed on Ashton and I's face.

"You look close," he muttered and I looked back at the photo. We did look close ... I guess.

"Yes, yes," I said waving it off, "but what do you think?" I asked.

He shrugged, "it looks alright," he muttered.

I narrowed my eyes at him in discontent, "just alright?" I questioned.

"It could be better," He muttered. I raised an eyebrow, and suddenly I felt like absolute shit.

"I see," I grumbled, I logged off the computer and stood from my chair.

"Wait, that came out―"

"I don't know what your problem is, but I don't like it so leave me alone," I hissed and brushed pass him in anger. What the hell was wrong with him?

I walked out of the library leaving Davis behind and headed straight to my locker.

As soon as I turned the corner, I was tackled by a heavy force and I fell to the floor weazing. Bloody hell, not again.

I pushed Amber off of me and glowered at her. She raised an eyebrow at me.

"What was that for?" I questioned.

"You left without me," Amber pouted and then I suddenly remembered that she was supposed to pick me up today. How could I forget?

"Oh, uhm, I'm sorry. Davis picked me up," I stated and Amber grinned.

"Don't worry. No hard feelings," Amber said before her happy grin turned into a sly one.

"Did you know that your brother has a tattoo?" Amber questioned as we stood up from the floor. The hallways were starting to get crowded and last thing I needed was to get trampled on.

"No, I didn't. How did you know?" I asked curiously.

"I honked the horn to let you know I was outside, but no one came out. Then I tried calling you, but your phone was out of service and then I rang the doorbell, no one answered so I used the hidden key and went inside. That's when I found your brother nursing a fresh tattoo of a skull looking thing," she said absent mindedly and I rolled my eyes.

We continued walking to my locker were I grabbed the stuff for class.

Amber smiled and wrapped an arm around my shoulder, "so ... you and Davis," she grinned. I huffed at the reminder of that man.

"He's an ass," I stated plainly and Amber's eyes widened into large saucer's and her jaw dropped. To me it was a bit over dramatic but that was what Amber was, over dramatic.

"What? But yesterday it sounded like things were going on great!" Amber exclaimed catching the attention of some of the people who were walking by.

"Yeah, it was until he decided to be a jerk this morning by calling me ugly!" I chewed out.

Amber's face turned red in anger, "he called you ugly?"

"Well ... not really, but it was close."

"Why did it even come up anyways?" Amber asked curiously as her eyes darted around the hallway, probably looking for Christopher.

"I was showing him the rough draft of the magazine cover," I stated.

She gasped, "when did you get it?" Amber questioned.

"Last night, but I didn't look at it until this morning," I said.

"I want to see it!" Amber grinned happily forgetting all about Christopher and I was fine with that. I didn't really want to think about Christopher right now.

"Sure."

The bell rung.

"At lunch time."

Amber pouted and I rolled my eyes for the millionth time.

"You," I said poking her in the chest, "still have to get your stuff before the late bell rings," I pointed out.

"Please," Amber begged and for a moment, just for a moment, I almost gave in. Well that was until I remembred that if I got another detention from Mr. Barker, I would be screwed.

I shook my head.

"Hmpf, fine," Amber muttered.

I closed my locker and shot Amber a smile, "don't worry. Three more hours and you get to see it," I said before heading to my first period class.

"Is that supposed to help me!" Amber called after me.

"No," I yelled over my shoulder.

[ note from saleena ]

Bleh, this took forever to write, but  posted it *silent cheering* I'm not sure when the next chapter will be posted, but most likely soon since I have a lot of free time :) Anyways, please be sure to vote, fan and comment :)