Adrenaline

The next morning, you wake up with a hammering heart and newly-found adrenaline pulsating through your body. Today is the day. With excess energy to spend, you chucked your pillow at Matt, who's currently deep in his REM cycle of sleep. Matt stirred. You sigh and yank off his blankets.

"What the fuck, (f/n)?" He sleepily mumbled.

Matt sits up, dressed in only his boxers. You're used to seeing Matt like that, so you carelessly hurled his striped shirt, jeans and goggles at him. Matt clumsily caught all three articles of clothing and quickly put them on. You hurriedly grab your denim jacket, jeans, plain, white t-shirt and headed off the bathroom to change. You can feel your heart pounding faster and faster with every step. You've recognized this new-found energy, this form of anxiety. It's not the kind of panic attack that would send you collapsing, but more so the kind that makes you crave more action, fueling your body with adrenaline. You slovenly dressed and washed yourself up.

"Hurry up, (f/n)!" Mello impatiently knocked the door.

"I'm almost done!" You shout back and opened the door, only to be greeted by an impatient leather-clad Mello.

You exit the bathroom and head to the kitchen.

"RING!" Your phone ran, just as you are about to make coffee. Near's calling-who else would it be?

"Hey, Near."

"Good morning, (f/n)"

"I guess today's the big day, huh?"

"Yes, it is. Today's the day where we see the fate of Wammy's house unfold. It's the very day where we'll witness Roger's life being shifted slightly off-balance on a tightrope. We'll also witness Matt's, Mello's and your fate unfold, hopefully it won't shift off-balance as well."

You understand the ciphered message. "All the best for you as well."

"Very well then, I'll see you guys at the CIA headquarters." Near hung up.

You smiled.

"What was that about?" Matt entered the kitchen.

"Nothing really, Near was just wishing us the best of luck."

Matt grinned.

"Do you think we'll be able to save Roger?" You asked.

"Please don't say that, of course we will. We have to save him." Matt firmly confirmed.

"Right."

You saunter over to the espresso and begin making your morning coffee.

"Let me do it." Matt appeared beside you.

"But you always make our coffee. Can I just do it for once?" You pouted.

"Alright." Matt backed away and sat back down.

"I'M DONE!" Mello flung open the bathroom door and strode into the kitchen, his black combat boots loudly clicking on the floor.

Mello always had a sense of presence. You'll always know when he's in the room, contrary to Near, who's barely noticeable at all.

"Mello and Near. The ghost and the Devil. One draped in loose, white clothing, one who seems to be outfitted by Satan himself. Both tormentors, both tormented." You mentally queried.