•The Beginning•

Walking out of the tall apartment building, I stepped out into the streets of Gotham.

Looking around, the street were empty. No cars passed, no one walked along the sidewalk.

An eerie feeling sent a shiver down my spine.

It was just me, but the streets were cold and harsh.

Every one here in Gotham was harsh.

I practically lived at the Martial Arts Gym. My Mother sent me there about everyday, Gotham is no joke.

And sometimes I went to boxing matches downtown.

Turning left at the street intersection, I continued my way to downtown Gotham, to pick up a few groceries.

After a good while, I ended up at the Street Market, and headed over to Tasha's stand. Tasha was one of my Mothers best friends, waving at her, I asked for some milk and eggs.

"It's nice to see you, Victoria." Tasha hummed as she bagged the groceries.

"Same to you." I giggled with a wink, "It's been a little bit since I've made a trip down here." I said looking over my shoulder at the rest of the stands.

There were groups of people passing by, and some stood at the booths surveying the items for sell.

Handing Tasha a ten and collecting the change, I picked up the bag and waved, "I'll see you around." I smiled.

Heading back towards the way I came, a small group of men entered the Street Market.

Sticking close to the shadows, I continued to walk.

Looking down and not making eye contact was really, the best thing to do.

The men roughly shoved at each other. Their obnoxious laughter filled the Market, causing a few of the shoppers to look.

"Are they drunk?" I thought, watching out of the corner of my eye.

"Well hello there, Darling" One said with a thick Italian accent.

I looked straight ahead and continued as if I never heard anything.

"Well that's rude." Another said chuckling.

The men continued down the street, and stopped at Tasha's stand.

The man who called out to me spoke, "I'll have.." He surveyed the things she had, and finally he pointed at her, "One of you." He smiled darkly.

The man had a long, black trench coat on. He seemed to be about Late twenties, early thirties. He had dark brown hair, and Mint green eyes.

"Sir. Pick something, pay, and then leave." Tasha said, giving him a cold look.

Slamming his fist on the stand made me turn around and start walking back towards them. I will not deal with this.

"I really don't think I will, honey," he growled, roughly taking her chin, "I want one of you, simple as that."

Tasha's large doe eyes stared into his, not a word came from her, but if I was in that position, I don't think I would have uttered a word either.

Slowly coming up on the stand again, I laid the bag down next to her stand.

"I'll have to ask you to let go of her, please." I said smiling.

The man looked over at me, still gripping Tasha's chin, "What are you, Fifteen?"

Tapping my foot I shook my head, "What I am?" I pondered. "The real question is 'Who are you' and to answer that, I'm the person who's about to whoop your ass if you don't let go of her." I snarled, crossing my arms.

"Tori.. Go home." Tasha whispered.

The man released her and stepped towards me. Looking at me, he spoke.

"And what are you going to do, Little One?" He said frostily.

"Glad you asked." I smirked.

~~
Hopefully this is a good way to begin this book.
I have really wanted to do this, and now I have the time to!

-Tophatcat23