Gone

15 years later.
"Artemis!" I called.
There was no answer. As usual.
"Can't find our child again?" A voice said behind me. Pine.
"No. More like our child won't come. I know she can hear me."
"I'll get her." Pine laughed and kissed me lightly on the lips.

Pine slipped into the brush of the forest. Underneath the overhang it was cool and shady. So shady, that it was almost completely dark. Which fit Artemis perfectly.
"Artemis?" Pine called.
"Here." A soft sweet voice answered back.
Pine followed the voice down a set of stairs to a circular opening in the mountain side. Right under the cliff Pine and Lina used to sit at. As he neared the end he saw his daughter.
"Artemis." He said. Artemis turned around revealing her beautiful fair light skin and pink crystal like eyes. Her face was framed by her soft pink hair that she tied back in a ponytail. Her looks deceive her though because she had the power to control the darkness.
"You know your mother doesn't like you staying out here so late. Especially today."
"Oh why? What's today?" Artemis said sarcastically.
"Very funny." Pine said. He walked up to her and hugged her tightly. "Happy Birthday sweetheart." He said.
"Thanks dad but, you don't have to do that." Artemis said sadly.
"Do what? Love my daughter?"
"No. It's just... It's the same thing every year. All four of you act happy but, I know you. I can tell when something's wrong and every year... It's like someone died or something."
Pine smiled quickly pushing the thought from his head but answered...
"You're right. Something did die today..."
Artemis perked up in curiously.
"Our social lives. Thanks a lot." Pine joked.
Artemis groaned and punched her dad playfully.
"Come on kiddo. Before your mother kills both of us." Pine said.
"Alright." Artemis said as Pine wrapped an arm around his daughters shoulders. She wrapped her arm around him and the two walked back to the base.
She had never known anything other than the love of her family but, as fate would have it, everything was about to change. For the love she never knew was about to destroy the love she never had...
And she would have to fight not only for her own life but, the lives of her family.
They say history has a tendency to repeat itself.
"Isn't that right?"