2

VIC'S POV

I had a lot of homework today, but I didn't mind too much. I liked doing homework and I knew I was the smartest in my class, so most of it was a piece of cake.

I was sat in my special, little area in the woods across my house. There wasn't much near my house. It was just my house in an abandoned area, 15 minutes away from the town that held a bakery, a convenience store, a grocery store, a clinic, and a church. The city was then 10 minuets from there, which held the bigger things like a hospital and my school, But I took the bus to get there.  But there were the woods across from my house, and I had only worked up the courage and enough curiosity to discover it 2 years ago. I quickly fell in love with it.

 Sitting by myself with the view of the lake was always peaceful and helped me concentrate on my work. I came here everyday after school to do work or study. Even on weekends I would come here, but that was with intentions to get away from my mom. Because when I was out here, I didn't have a mom nor a care in the world. Nothing could ruin this for me.

I read over math problems from a textbook through my reading glasses, mentally dissecting the equation when the sound of twigs and leaves crunching under footsteps pulled me from my thoughts.

I looked over to where the sound was coming from, closing my book and holding it to my chest like some sort of shield. The noise didn't scare me too much, not as much as the boy that shot out of the void, falling to the ground with a groan. Nobody ever came here, so I was surprised to see this little, boy here, and by himself. Then again, I'm by myself. I starred at the boy for a while as he rolled over to his back. I thought about not saying anything and just staying quiet until he left. But I decided against that because he could be hurt and I wasn't heartless. I inhaled deeply before slowly striding over to the boy.

"Are you okay?" I asked the boy who was sitting up now and looking lost.

He looked up to me fast, probably startled at my presence and didn't know I was here.

"Why were you running?" I decided to ask. He looked to be a in a rush when he came in here, like there was a monster chasing him. He scrunched up his face and stood up. He probably wasn't answering me because I was a stranger, which I completely understood.

"Uh, I was running from somebody scary."

"Are you okay? Did it hurt you?" I asked. What was chasing him? I looked past him in the direction that he came into, but saw nothing.

"I'm fine," he confirmed, standing up.

"Um, who are you?" He finally questioned.

"Vic," I said simply. I was honestly surprised he was talking to me. Didn't his parents ever teach him not to talk to strangers? But then again, I'm talking to him too.

"Cool. I'm Kellin and this is Charlie," he said, bending down and taking a small cat into his arms.

"He's so cute," I said.

"It's a girl," he corrected, sternly. I raised a brow at that.

"I named her when I was smaller because I didn't know," he explained and I nodded in understanding. Kellin was about a head shorter than me with pale skin- like he never got out of the house- and long, black hair that made him look like a little girl, but I couldn't say anything because I had long hair as well. Kellin was adorable, I had to admit. You looked at him and you just wanted to hug him.

"Hey, what is that?" Kellin asked, nodding towards my book.

"Oh, I was doing homework?" I answered.