13

Men in business suits sat at the bar, drink in their hand, their work evidently far from their thoughts, but that was what 'Happy Hour' was for. It's your excuse to go to a bar mid-day, drink especially cheap beer, and get shitfaced while you should be at work.

Gabe and I sat at the bar, ordered a beer and pretended that we were 'manly' men like the ones around us. I didn't usually do these kinds of things, but after I told Gabe about the night I had yesterday, he insisted. He said that I wasn't allowed to sit around in a pool of my own self-pity, so he dragged me out to a bar at an hour too early to get wasted.

"I feel so out of place," I admitted under my breath. I was only 22 and the only place I ever drank was at random, shitty nightclubs and in my living room in nothing but my underwear. I never came out to bars like this. I didn't even really like beer, yet here I was.

"It's okay, If anyone says anything, I'll tell them you're my girlfriend." he said with a cheeky wink.

I shot Gabe a glare while he laughed at his oh, so clever comment. I wasn't impressed at all. He stopped laughing when his eyes fell past me.

"Look, it's your little crush," Gabe said, nodding towards the door behind me. I raised brow, confused.

"My what--"

I spun my chair and was surprised to see Vic walking into the bar. He hadn't noticed us at first, but Gabe being Gabe waved his hand and called him over to us.

"Oh, hey guys," Vic smiled, coming over and taking the seat beside me. We said our greetings as Vic ordered himself a drink.

Gabe and Vic eventually made conversation across me, while I sat between them, awkwardly. I didn't want to just sit here and not say anything because I thought that was rude, but I also had nothing to add, So I sat there and played with the chipping wood from the bar, kind of bored and wanting to go home.

"What about you, Kellin?" Vic suddenly asked the moment I drifted from the conversation.

"Um, what?"

"Who are you going for?" He asked, pointing to the large tv before us. I wasn't a huge fan of sports, so I paid little to no attention to the tv the second I saw the football field when we first walked in.

"Oh, I'm not really much of a football fan. I don't really get it," I shrugged.

"I'll teach you," he offered, happily. Vic then leaned into me but directed his eyes to the tv. "Basically, when one team has the ball, their objective is to run the ball and pass that line,"He said, pointing to a yellow line on the field. "Or further. Of course there are other rules, but that's the just of it, really." He concluded, looking back at me. His distance from his face to mine was much more alarming now that he was facing me. And I think he realized it too because he finally backed away and sat on his seat properly, clearing his throat in an obviously fake way.

"So who are you going for?" I asked him.

"Um, the ones in blue." He pointed to the team dressed in a white and pale blue uniform.

"Me too."I said, feeling my cheeks starting to heat slightly. God, what was wrong with me, why did I say that? Vic nodded before looking away with a smile on his face. I think he's just amused by how ridiculous and stupid I can be.

"I'm going to use the bathroom," He announced before getting up from his stool and walking away, towards the restroom.

"He's married." I heard Gabe say under his breath. I rolled my eye and spun my chair to face him.

"I'm just being nice," I said.

"Really, because for a second there I thought I was going to have to leave you two alone."