Chapter Twelve

I do not own this picture

Chapter Twelve (started 2/23/22)

* Sorry this update was two days late I've been working 6 days a week so not as much time for writing but I will try and do better from here on out.  Immediately starting on Chapter 13 in hopes I'll have an update for you guys come Sunday.

Chloe huffed after her last ten hour shift; she was exhausted and didn't know if she could take much more of it.  Especially when she checked her phone and saw that her gynecologist had called and left a message for her, the last time she'd met up with her was to see if going off birth control would be an okay thing to do given Max and her wanted to have kids within a year after getting married.  They'd been together since high school and she was so happy that they had made it this far, nearly seven years and since she was just months from graduating the nurses program and had already obtained a job working with her aunt Vanessa she thought now would be a good a time as any to at least begin looking into it.

"You okay?"  

"Yeah."  She smiled up at her aunt, who was also getting off by the look of it, grabbing her scarf and jacket out of her cubby.  She was headed home to her husband, Chloe's uncle, Zeke, and their four kids.  Chloe couldn't help but feel a little jealous; everything seemed so easy for them on the other side of things.  They already had their chosen professions when they'd met; Zeke was a nature photographer who had now decided to do more along the lines of weddings and bar mitzvahs to stay close to home.  While Vanessa was head nurse and Chloe's advisor through her final year in the program,  Meanwhile, Max was still three years away from becoming a doctor and she was one year from graduation herself, it would be hard juggling him still in med school along with marriage and trying to have a baby but Chloe wanted to be able to do it all.  Just like her parents had, they had her in their senior year and still managed to keep it together, and that really solidified the idea of having a family with Max in her mind.

"Then why do you look so forlorn?"

"Because I went off birth control a couple of months ago and had no such luck getting pregnant yet."

"You and Max are trying for a baby right now?"

"Yeah, we know it's a lot to chew at the moment, but we think we can handle and don't want to wait any longer."

"Well, that's a big step," Vanessa furrowed her brows, still not understanding why her niece was so downtrodden.  "But I'm sure you'll manage."

"Yeah, but no pregnancy yet.  Not even a pregnancy scare."

"Well, you're only what twenty, twenty-one?  You've got plenty of time to get all that sorted out and keep trying."

"True, I just wish it would happen already happened. I'm getting so anxious."

"Well, I'm sure when you've got two to three in a handful of years, you'll be wishing you'd slowed down and enjoy your time."

"Yeah, you're right."

Chloe grabbed her jacket as well and headed out to her car. After she got in, she immediately called her gynecologist to see what the message had been in regards to.  

"Hello?"

"Hi, this is Dr. Mitchell's office.  Who do I have the pleasure of speaking with?"

"Chloe Matthews."

"And the reason for the call?" The receptionist asked.

"I'm returning a phone call I received this morning."

"Okay, let me put you on a brief hold."

"Okay," she nibbled nervously on her nail while the other end was playing elevator music during her hold.  Within seconds, though, the receptionist was back and telling her that the doctor knew what it was in regards to and that they would like to schedule a follow-up appointment to discuss something.  They agreed to meet the following day as soon as she got off work before she hung up the phone and sighed heavily.  She was exhausted to begin with, and now she was anxious to find out what they were going to discuss.