Chapter 5

Chapter 5

                Hailkit’s injuries and Salmonkit’s wounds were treated and within a couple of days, Hailkit was allowed to return the nursery. Neither one of them would tell how they were hurt, and now the queens were all worried about a fox or badger living in camp.

                Fortunately, Hailkit wasn’t mad at her. He said it had been his idea anyways and it wasn’t her fault that she beat him.

                Salmonkit was hiding in a clump of reeds and listening to Silverpaw and Hollypaw take their final assessment. “Remember not to let your shadow fall on the water,” Flash told Silverpaw as she sat by the riverbank.

                Silverpaw just sat there, unmoving, for a while. Suddenly she brought her left forepaw down into the water, and when it came back up, a wriggling fish was hooked on her claws. She killed it by biting its spine. “Good job!” Flash praised his apprentice. “Now we’ll go to the lake shore to test your battle skills.”

                As soon as they were gone, Salmonkit emerged from the reeds and sat by the riverbank. She saw her shadow on the water and saw the fish moving away, so she leaned back.  She raised a forepaw and waited. A fish swam by and she dipped her paw into the water. She felt soft flesh against her claws and she was unhappy when she accidentally lost her grip. She watched with dismay as it slipped back into the water.

                Salmonkit tried again. This time, when she pounced, she brought her paw up quicker and swiftly gave it a nip to its spine. “Great catch!” a voice shouted.

                Salmonkit spun around, feeling pride and excitement. Foxkit was trotting towards her with Marshkit and Flowerkit following behind. “Where did you learn that?” Flowerkit asked.

                “I watched Silverpaw catch one on her final assessment,” Salmonkit admitted. “But it’s still pretty good! It’s not like Flash came over and gave me a lesson or instructions!”

                “Let me try!” Foxkit shouted.

                She waded into the water until it was up to her shoulders. “All of the fish are avoiding me!” she complained.

                She reached out with a paw and tried grab one, but fell over and tumbled into the water. She stood up and shook her head to get the water out of her ears. “Oh, c’mon!” she protested.

                “Give up, Foxkit,” Salmonkit purred.

                “Fine,” Foxkit sighed. “Why don’t we do something fun instead?”

                “Okay, hold on, I’ll be right back. Please don’t start any games without me!” Salmonkit meowed and then picked up her fish.

                She marched back to camp.  “Sandfur!” she yowled. “Come see what I caught!”

                Sandfur came over. “Did you catch that yourself?” the light brown she-cat asked, looking impressed.

                Salmonkit nodded. “Well, put it on the fresh-kill pile then!” Sandfur meowed with warmth in her voice.

                Salmonkit lifted her head with pride and padded over to the fresh-kill pile. She dropped her catch and heard her father, Breezetail, shout, “Good job, Salmonkit!”

                Salmonkit raced back to join Flowerkit, Marshkit, and Foxkit. “I dare you to swim across the stream, Foxkit!” Marshkit challenged her sister.

                Why doesn’t he dare me to do it? I’m twice as good at swimming as Foxkit!

                “All right!” Foxkit shouted.

                The red-furred she-cat tensed her muscles and jumped into the water. She instantly disappeared underwater but reappeared for a heartbeat in the middle of the stream, struggling to stay above water. “Yeah! Keep going!” Marshkit called encouragingly.

                She’s not going to make it.

                Salmonkit was proved to be correct when Foxkit’s nose vanished beneath the water’s surface again. She summoned her courage and leapt in after her sister. The currents were much stronger than those in the Beginner’s Pool, so Salmonkit put more energy into her kicks. A small wave came and washed over her muzzle and she was pushed underwater. She made her way back up and resurfaced, gasping for breath. She continued on and saw a flash of red fur beneath her.

                Salmonkit ducked under the water and grabbed Foxkit’s scruff, noticing instantly that her sister was limp in her jaws. But between the river’s pull and Foxkit’s weight, she couldn’t maintain her smooth rhythm. She had no choice but to come up for air. “Help! Please, someone, help!” Flowerkit and Marshkit were shrieking.

                Salmonkit prepared to dive down for another attempt. “No, Salmonkit!” Flowerkit shouted. “Get back here! You can’t drown too! Warriors are coming to help!”

                Salmonkit ignored her friend and took a deep breath. Her lungs were already screaming for oxygen as she sank her teeth into her sister’s scruff again and tried to kick upwards. But it wasn’t working. They were both drifting slowly down, farther away from the cats above. Flowerkit is right. This is hopeless.

                She reluctantly let go of her sister and paddled back to the surface. She swam back towards Marshkit and Flowerkit and reached it just as Sandfur, Rosethorn, and Amberstorm dashed through the reeds. Sandfur quickly hauled Salmonkit up and she collapsed onto the ground. “I’m not the problem!” Salmonkit wheezed. “Foxkit is drowning!”

                Sandfur was instantly alert and alarmed. She jumped into the water with Rosethorn following while Amberstorm went to get Dawnshine.

                The two warriors disappeared underwater and came up carrying an unmoving Foxkit in their jaws. Dawnshine rushed to the scene and tried to get Salmonkit’s sister to cough up some water, but it didn’t work. The elderly RiverClan medicine cat looked up with sadness in her eyes. “I’m sorry, Sandfur, but we were too late. Foxkit is dead,” she announced and Salmonkit felt her heart shatter.

A/N: Foxkit is dead! :( What do you think? Hope you liked this chapter even though it's sad :D