Chapter 26

Chapter 26

                The next night, she dreamt that she was in a forest. The trees had black bark and a gray mist was the only thing giving off light. In front of her stood her father, Breezetail.

                Salmonstorm backed up instantly and unsheathed her claws. “What do you want and what are you doing invading my dreams?” she growled fiercely.

                Breezetail sighed. “Oh, Salmonstorm, I’ve spoken to Foxkit and I’m so sorry. She helped me realize it wasn’t your fault that she died and I hope you accept my apology.”

                “Why should I?” she snarled, feeling all of the anger she’d hidden rise up again.

                “Perhaps you shouldn’t,” he admitted. “But I feel awful. It might not be enough to truly repay you, but I thought I’d give you extra training.”

                “Why?” she demanded. “I’m a warrior, not an apprentice.”

                “True, but you didn’t get much battle training and it never hurts to learn new moves and practice old moves,” Breezetail replied. “Besides, StarClan knows stuff that RiverClan has long since forgotten.”

                “I won’t pass on the opportunity to increase my skills but I do have one question. Why is it so…dark here?” she asked, feeling her fury subside.

                “Is the night sky dark, I ask you?” Breezetail answered. “If you think this place is bad, you should see the Dark Forest. Not only is it dark, but there’s no trees or river, it’s just a barren wasteland.”

                His response made sense, but it left Salmonstorm feeling mildly disappointed. This is StarClan?

                She’d always imagined StarClan as a beautiful place much like her current home in RiverClan with streams filled with endless fish. Or possibly like the valley where she’d spent six moons, except without the nearby Twolegplace. But not a dark, disgusting forest that supposedly had rivers…the word forest caught her attention but she didn’t know why. She just sensed she was missing something important…

***

                It was now a cold leaf-bare and was the first one Salmonstorm had seen. It had been early in newleaf when she was born and the white, powdery substance covering the ground when she woke up one morning surprised her. Fortunately, the river hadn’t frozen yet, although the elders promised it would soon.

                Tawnykit and her sister were soon ready to become apprentices. Moonleaf had nursed them for a while but once she was out of milk, Bluesplash had returned to the nursery and agreed to take care of them until they could eat fresh-kill. The bluish-gray she-cat had two kits named Sunkit and Ripplekit. Salmonstorm played with them frequently while they were younger, and now they were six moons old. And the best news of all? Troutstar had chosen her to mentor Tawnykit!

***       

                Moons passed. Ravenpaw and Grasspaw were now Ravenfire and Grassfoot. Leaf-bare went by quickly and newleaf was almost over. An epidemic of greencough spread through the camp, taking four victims with it. Sparkle, Grasswhisker, and Blizzardfrost would be missed but the other cat was Troutstar, who’d fallen ill before anyone else. At least, the flame-colored leader had more lives remaining. And luckily, Salmonstorm was not among those who had caught the potentially fatal sickness.

                Finally, after long moons of training, Tawnypaw and Cherrypaw were ready to become warriors!

                “Tawnypaw was a good fighter,” Hailcloud, who was Cherrypaw’s mentor, commented.

                “Yes, but Cherrypaw did better on hunting and they’re both quick learners,” Salmonstorm meowed.

                Hailcloud nodded as Troutstar yowled, “Let all cats old enough to catch their own prey gather beneath the Highledge for a Clan meeting!”

                “I, Troutstar, leader of RiverClan, call upon my warrior ancestors to look down on these two apprentices. They have trained hard to understand the ways of your noble code, and I commend them to you as warriors in their turn. Cherrypaw, Tawnypaw, do you promise to uphold the warrior code and to protect and defend this Clan, even at the cost of your life?” the RiverClan leader started the ceremony.

                “I do!” Tawnypaw declared loudly while Cherrypaw responded in a voice that was barely more than a whisper.

                “Then by the powers of StarClan, I give you your warrior names,” Troutstar continued. “Cherrypaw, you and your sister have both proven that you will make great warriors. From this moment on, you will be known as Cherrystorm. StarClan honors your courage and loyalty, and we welcome you as a full warrior of RiverClan.”

                “Tawnypaw,” the RiverClan leader spoke Salmonstorm’s apprentice’s name. “You are eager to learn and a fine hunter. From now on, you will be known as Tawnyflame. StarClan honors your intelligence and skill and we welcome you as a full warrior of our Clan.”

                The Clan chanted their names and Salmonstorm was almost as proud as Tawnyflame.

A/N: I've been super busy plus I started a new Percy Jackson story this weekend, so I apologize for the wait but here's the next chapter!

That's how Salmonstar got stuck in the Place of No Stars. Anyone notice something about Breezetail's explanation that didn't make sense? Like the fact that if it's the Dark "Forest" it wouldn't be logical that there'd be no trees :D

Anyhow thanks for reading, hope you enjoyed, and please comment so I know what you think :D