Chapter 29

Chapter 29

Salmonstar had been leader for three moons. She'd discovered that Breezetail was actually a member of the Dark Forest and that he'd tricked her into believing the Place of No Stars was StarClan. Thankfully, Cloudstar had led a patrol to rescue her.

At the previous Gathering, Crazystar had given her the answer to the question she'd been wondering for moons. Why did Breezetail train me?

The Dark Forest was rising and training cats from the Clans so they could take over. They were being led by ThunderClan's former deputy, Splashheart.

The red-furred she-cat was sharing a fish with Hailcloud one day. "Um, Hailcloud, I have something to tell you," Salmonstar meowed.

Hailcloud raised an eyebrow. "Yes, what is it?" he asked.

"Well, I...I'm expecting your kits," she stammered.

"That's awesome!" he purred. "We'll give them the coolest names ever! Can we name one of them Minnowkit?"

"Sure," she replied, pleased to see that he was excited about it. "That's so cute!"

***

Yesterday, one of RiverClan's patrols had noticed ShadowClan scent over the border. So Salmonstar was leading a patrol consisting of Hailcloud, Marshcloud, Sunblaze, Ripplepool, Ravenfire, Silvershine, Falconflight, Owlfeather, Frostcloud, Bluesplash, and Yellowfire.

Waiting at the ShadowClan border was the arrogant Shadestar with a patrol of his own. "Oh, Salmonstar, ShadowClan is stronger than ever before. Don't make the same mistakes as Troutstar. Surrender the territory back to the Great Pine or you'll be destroyed along with the rest of your Clanmates," the ShadowClan leader growled.

RiverClan cannot afford to keep fighting these costly battles with ShadowClan every other moon. Shadestar must be killed or we will never know peace.

"Troutstar didn't make a mistake," Salmonstar snarled. "We've won each time in case you don't remember! It is time to put an end to this! RiverClan, attack!

The red-furred she-cat leapt towards Shadestar, who easily sidestepped. He swung a paw towards her head, but she ducked under his strike and swept his forepaws out from under him. She aimed a blow for his neck, but he rolled out of the way. "Have any moves better than that, kit?" he taunted her as he scrambled back to his feet.

"Shut up," she muttered, slicing her claws across Shadestar's nose before he could dodge.

Salmonstar hopped backwards as he tried to rake his claws across her neck and then lunged towards him. Her weight managed to knock him over and Shadestar was soon pinned on the ground. He unsuccessfully tried to throw her off. "You were never going to beat RiverClan and you should've known that," the red-furred she-cat hissed.

Without hesitating, Salmonstar delivered the death blow. "NO! Shadestar!" Ivywhisker, the ShadowClan deputy, howled. "That was his last life! How dare you?"

"I did not know it was his last life but even if this hadn't been his ninth, I would've made certain that I took the rest of them," Salmonstar responded. "I cannot allow these constant battles between our Clans to continue. I hope you will be a kinder leader than Shadestar, Ivywhisker."

Ivywhisker glared at her. "ShadowClan, retreat!" she yowled.

As the ShadowClan warriors fled from the scene, Salmonstar noticed the cat lying on the grass with a large wound in his throat. The one cat that meant more to her than anything else. "No!" she screamed.

Hailcloud turned his head weakly to look at her. "Everyone, return to camp. Please give us some time alone to say...to say good-bye," she ordered, her voice trembling.

Salmonstar rushed over to his side as the Clan left. "Oh, Hailcloud, please don't die. The Clan needs you. I need you," she meowed.

"I will watch you and our kits from StarClan. Oh, our kits will be beautiful," he coughed. "About the kits...no one knows about them yet except you, me, Leafwhisker, and Rainpool, right?"

Salmonstar nodded, not understanding why he was asking. "Icewhisker will be heartbroken if he realizes you love me and not him. Since I will be gone...can you do me one last favor?" he managed to gasp out, his voice rapidly growing weaker and the light fading out of those beautiful green eyes. "Tell Icewhisker that they're his kits. It's...it's for the best."

"I'd do anything for you," she replied, her voice faltering.

He closed his eyes. "Thank you," he breathed. "Minnowkit...perfect name..."

Hailcloud stopped speaking. His breathing halted.

NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A/N: Hailcloud was one of my favorite characters :( But it had to happen...

I bet none of you were expecting Hailcloud to be the father because of what the prologue said about Icewhisker being the father. But it also said:

"He's a good father," Tawnyflame commented.

Salmonstar nodded, ONLY PARTLY LISTENING TO WHAT TAWNYFLAME WAS SAYING.

It's official, the next chapter of this book will be the last one other than the epilogue! So excited for book 4!