Chapter 17

Chapter 17

                For some reason, Salmonpaw couldn’t stop thinking about the newcomers. She tried to sleep, but it was useless. She climbed soundlessly out of her nest and thankfully managed to escape without waking the other apprentices.

                Salmonpaw walked over to the medicine cats den and peeked inside. A figure suddenly stood up and she pulled back, worried that she’d been seen. She didn’t want Leafwhisker to ask her what she was doing because she honestly didn’t know.

                But the cat that stepped out of the den wasn’t Leafwhisker. It was Crazypaw. Salmonpaw relaxed. “Hi!” she meowed, revealing herself.

                Alarm flashed on Crazypaw’s face. “Shh,” she hissed. “Keep your voice down! I’m not supposed to be out here.”

                I can’t blame her for sneaking out here, it’s boring in that dumb medicine cat den. I remember when I was stuck there for only one day after fighting with Hailcloud. “Oh,” the RiverClan apprentice whispered. “Sorry. I know Troutstar confined you to that dumb medicine cat den. I think that’s so unfair! I’d be bored out of my mind stuck in there all day!”

                Salmonpaw unintentionally found herself caught in a flashback…

                “Found you!” Foxkit declared.

                She emerged from Smallstar’s den, where she’d been hiding. “Aw!” Salmonkit whined. “No fair! I never thought you’d look in the leader’s den!”

                Foxkit laughed as she leapt onto Salmonkit’s back and knocked her over. “You’re lucky Smallstar didn’t return and find you! You better hope he doesn’t notice your scent!” Salmonkit’s sister purred as she marched away.

                Ripplecloud approached. “Playing hide-and-seek again, aren’t you?” he asked with a gleam in his eyes. “I thought I’d show you a place where you can hide that no cat will find you.”

                Salmonpaw shook her head to clear her mind. “I thought I’d show you a place where you can hide that no cat will find you,” she finished, copying Ripplecloud’s words.

                Salmonpaw started walking and gestured with her tail for Crazypaw to follow. She glanced back once to be sure and the ThunderClan apprentice was running towards her, trying to catch up.

                Salmonpaw saw the rosebush and felt the edge of the hole in the ground in front of her. She pushed the pebbles that blocked the entrance away and worried momentarily that she wouldn’t fit through. But despite being a tight squeeze, both cats made it through.

                The ground sloped downwards and led into darkness. There was no way to see, but Salmonpaw trusted the river to become visible soon.

                Sure enough, a bright blue glow appeared ahead. “Is that the stream?” Crazypaw wondered. “If it is, how doesn’t this tunnel flood?”

                I didn’t understand now, but I think that it’s because of a Twoleg substance that Rainpaw called “glass” or something. Or maybe not. You never know with stuff built by Twolegs. They’re strange creatures.

                Salmonpaw nodded. “It doesn’t flood because the Twolegs built a tunnel out of some see-through material,” she answered. “I don’t know why. Maybe they like sitting here underneath the water and staring at the water too. But I thought you might want to know about this place. It’s private and no one else knows about it. And it’s too far under for anyone to accidentally touch it with their paws while they’re swimming across.”

                “Thanks, Salmonpaw,” Crazypaw meowed. “How did you find this place?”

                “Well, I guess not exactly nobody else knows about, but only one cat though. My older brother, Ripplecloud, showed me it!” Salmonpaw replied. “Said I was the only cat besides him to know about it!”

                Salmonpaw stepped onto the glass Twoleg tunnel leading into the stream. It stopped for some reason about halfway across the river. “C’mon!” the RiverClan apprentice called. “You can see more of the stream from here!”

                Crazypaw looked nervous. You won’t fall into the river, mouse-brain. I would’ve fallen in too if that was the case!

                The ThunderClan apprentice walked over and Salmonpaw tried to ignore her pungent scent. “Look up!” she shouted, raising her head to stare at the water above.

                They sat there like that until dawn in silence. I’m guessing she’ll come back here tomorrow…and perhaps she’ll bring Stonepaw with her.

***

                Salmonpaw waited, careful not to make a sound. Close to moonhigh, Crazypaw emerged from the medicine cats den with Stonepaw following behind. As soon as the two disappeared into the rosebush, she crept after them and listened. “This is like the tunnels at home, except smaller,” the WindClan apprentice whispered.

                Crazypaw didn’t say anything. Salmonpaw inched closer and suddenly heard Stonepaw gasp in surprise. “It’s the river!” Stonepaw announced.

                There was no conversation for a moment. Salmonpaw wished she could go near enough for them to be visible, but she couldn’t risk being seen. “Crazypaw,” Stonepaw began, sounding hesitant.

                “What?” Crazypaw asked.

                “I know I just met you and we’re from different Clans but I…I love you,” he stammered.

                Salmonpaw could hardly keep herself from voicing her opinion. I suppose I’m not the only one with secrets. But they both should know better, doesn’t ThunderClan tell the stories about Graystripe and Silverstream? Let’s see how she responds…

                “Oh, Stonepaw…I love you too,” Crazypaw purred.

                Salmonpaw’s suspicions were confirmed. I’ve heard enough…time to leave and get some sleep.

                She carefully turned around and started to walk back, but accidentally tripped over her own paws. “Someone is here!” Stonepaw growled.

                “Oh no,” Crazypaw muttered. “Run. Now!”

                Salmonpaw pressed herself against the side of the tunnel and hoped she wasn’t seen or scented in the blackness. The two cats rushed past her, fear-scent evident. They were apparently too panicked to sniff the air and it was too dark to be seen.

                As soon as she was sure they were gone, Salmonpaw snuck back into the apprentices den and settled down in her nest.

A/N: Watching and playing with our new puppy and trying to finish a chapter while he's napping. :) Not that I mind at all, actually I'm extremely happy and he's super cute, just means less time to update. Hope you enjoyed this chapter! :D