Chapter 27

Chapter 27

                “ThunderClan is late,” Coldsnow commented.

                “I know,” Salmonstorm muttered. “It isn’t like Cloudstar to be the last one to a Gathering.”

                “There’s ThunderClan!” Kestrelfeather of WindClan announced as she finished her sentence.

                To everybody’s surprise, the cat that leapt onto the Dead Oak wasn’t the white-furred leader, nor was it the gray-and-white tom, Splashheart, who was ThunderClan’s deputy. It was a familiar light gray she-cat who Salmonstorm had heard about once or twice in Cloudstar’s reports but hadn’t seen since she’d returned to her Clan. Crazyflame! What is she doing up there?

                Apparently, other cats were having the same thoughts. Whispers spread between warriors as quickly as wildfire, but they were silenced by a loud yowl from Troutstar. The flame-colored leader nodded encouragingly to the gray-furred she-cat, who looked incredibly nervous. “Um…” the ThunderClan she-cat began. “ThunderClan has been struck by tragedy. Splashheart has killed Cloudstar and if anyone sees him, it would be wise to show no mercy to him. He deserves to be punished for what he’s done. He’s a heartless rogue who has no understanding of the warrior code. Also, we found a WindClan warrior trespassing on our territory…”

                Crazystar was immediately interrupted by yowls of protest from WindClan. Rabbitstar glared at her, his eyes smoldering with anger. “Let me finish!” she snarled with frustration. “This trespasser claimed that he had come to join our Clan and we allowed him to. So far at least, he hasn’t broken our trust but if he is a spy you sent, Rabbitstar, don’t think at all that ThunderClan isn’t watching his every move closely.”

                Rabbitstar looked insulted and surprised. “Who is this cat?” he growled. “What is his name?”

                “He calls himself Stonestream,” Crazystar replied.

                Salmonstorm gasped in surprise as she began to suspect why Stonestream had joined ThunderClan. Coldsnow gave her a strange look. “What’s wrong?” her friend asked.

                Salmonstorm shook her head and pushed away the thought. It isn’t my business. “Nothing,” she lied, and tried to focus on the leaders’ words.

                “You captured him!” Smokewhisker shouted accusingly.

                “No, we did not,” Crazystar sighed. “Supposedly he joined because you mistreated him.”

                Smokewhisker didn’t respond. “RiverClan doesn’t have much to report. We have two new warriors, Cherrystorm and Tawnyflame,” Troutstar announced.

                Shadestar was next. “RiverClan has been trespassing on our land!” the ShadowClan leader declared.

                “What? Shut up, you mangy old furball!” Salmonstorm joined the rest of her Clanmates in denying the ShadowClan leader’s claims.

                “Stop trying to cause trouble, Shadestar!” Troutstar yowled.

                “I’m telling the truth. I advise you to heed my warning which is that RiverClan will pay for this offense,” the ShadowClan leader growled.

***

                Salmonstorm was on the extra-large dawn patrol being led by Troutstar to the ShadowClan border. It consisted of Tawnyflame, Mosspool, Brightflame, Flowerfur, Ravenfire, Thistlefrost, Volestorm, Icewhisker, Hailcloud, Aspenleaf, Puddlesplash, and Ripplecloud.

                Sure enough, waiting at the ShadowClan border for them was Shadestar with a patrol of his own that was about the same size. The black-furred tom’s eyes were cold and menacing. “Same as last time,” the ShadowClan leader meowed. “Surrender the stretch of territory from here to the Great Pine or we’ll take it by force.”

                “Why do you do this, Shadestar? Why do you need territory you wouldn’t even use?” Troutstar asked.

                Shadestar’s eyes narrowed even further. “I’ve been waiting all these seasons for revenge, Troutstar. You couldn’t respect my mother so I have no respect for you or your Clan. I will not rest until I’ve made you suffer the way you made me suffer,” the ShadowClan leader replied, the fury evident in his voice.

                Salmonstorm could tell that for once, the ShadowClan leader wasn’t making up a story just to cause an argument. And it led her to wonder what Troutstar had done and if maybe there was a reason behind Shadestar’s unfriendly attitude towards the other Clans.

                The red-furred she-cat looked at her leader and attempted the read Troutstar’s expression. But the flame-colored she-cat looked genuinely confused. “What in StarClan’s name are you talking about?” she growled.

                “You should know,” Shadestar responded. “I haven’t forgotten and I don’t believe you truly have either.”

                “I have no idea about anything other than the fact that you are a worthless mouse-brain!” Troutstar snarled ferociously.

                “I’ll remember that insult as well,” Shadestar hissed. “Now will you make a wise choice or will you all perish fighting us?”

                “RiverClan would never give you of all cats our territory nor would we lose to your incompetent warriors,” the flame-colored leader replied.

                The ShadowClan cats instantly attacked. Salmonstorm stumbled away from the battle after Ivywhisker snuck up behind her and dealt a bad blow to her left shoulder.

                RiverClan managed to defeat the ShadowClan warriors but not until both sides had received multiple injuries. Three unmoving bodies laid on the ground; Ripplecloud, Mosspool, and Troutstar.

A/N: Troutstar isn’t dead. She has one more life left.

Three things I forgot to mention last chapter. Volekit and Thistlekit were warriors when Tawnyflame and Cherrystorm received their warrior names. They’re called Volestorm and Thistlefrost.

Rainpaw has her full medicine cat name. She’s called Rainpool.

And I was supposed to announce the name of the Shadestar Super Edition. It’ll be called Shadestar’s Agony.

Anyhow, hope you enjoyed and I’ve given you all the first glimpse into Shadestar’s Agony with that conversation between Troutstar and Shadestar.