The Maze Runner: I Miss It

You were running the Maze with Minho that afternoon, like you always did. Although you were a girl, you were one of the best runners in the Glade. Everyone had once looked down on having a female runner, but it was until you had proved herself worthy by always bringing back hope for the Gladers each day. It was in the code of the Runners.

You and Minho had finally returned from your day of work, both sweaty and exhausted. Like every day, the two of you made your way towards the Map Room to continue taking new notes and continue the mapping process.

"Another good day, huh?" Minho called out from the other side of the room. He was making sketches of today's route. "Maybe we'll find a way out, someday."

You rolled your eyes, "We will find a way out, stupid." You never liked using Glader slang. "You don't seem very hopeful. But everyday is one day closer to getting out of this place."

It had been two years since you had been inside of the Glade, and no one seems to have found a way out, yet. It seemed impossible, but it was the job of the Runners to bring back hope for the other Gladers.

Once you had finished making your sketches, you left the Map Room. Immediately, you had started looking for Newt. As soon as you had spotted the boy from behind, you made a slow approach, hoping to surprise him this time. You jumped at him, throwing your arms around him.

"Newt," you whined, "Newt."

He ignored you. Every other day, he'd pull you into an embrace, taking you to the bonfire where you'd sit and talk about your day. Today had seemed extremely different. Newt looked angry.

You furrowed her eyebrows, untangling yourself from him. "Anything wrong? What's the matter?"

He turned away from you, continuing to ignore you. It was starting to bother you.

"If you're going to ignore me, why don't you at least tell me what I did wrong?" You crossed your arms, "You're not being fair, Newt."

The boy sighed, finally speaking up. His back was still facing you. "I miss it." His voice was quiet. "I just miss it, okay?!"

Newt was shouting. It scared you. You had never seen him like this before. You were glad no other Glader was around to witness this.

"I hate standing here everyday, watching Minho run into the bloody Maze with you. I hate the fact that it's not me. I miss being out there in the Maze, finding the way out of here. With you."

He paused. "I miss running. I miss it so much, (Y/N)."

Newt was sobbing. You stepped forward, hugging the boy. You gently rubbed his back, closing your eyes. You remembered the days when Newt used to be a runner with you. He was the fastest runner back then.

He'd always compete with you, telling you that he'd always make it back into the Glade before you since he was the fastest. One day, he never returned. Alby had to search for Newt in the Maze before the doors had closed. He only found him in time to see that he had jumped. He tried to commit suicide. And ever since then, he had a limp. He could never walk the same again. Or run.

You didn't know what to say. You could only hold him, and tell him that it was okay. You were never the girl who was great with words. What you didn't realize was that the comfort you provided Newt was good enough for him. Your warm embrace was enough to tell him that it wasn't the end.