- FOURTEEN -

The second Blaise and Pansy left the scene I felt like I could breathe again. What things would I have to do to survive this year? I wasn't quite the laidback girl I used to be, I felt like I was losing myself sometimes. My eyes found those of Draco and he seemed drained from his energy as well.

It dawned on me that I just talked down on his friends in front of him. Before I could apologize however, Draco spoke "Don't apologize. It was quite entertaining actually. I haven't seen Zabini react like that before," a smirk spread across his face, but even so he didn't seem like his usual self.

Now that I think about it, I haven't seen him with his friends in a while. People seemed to keep away from him – the Slytherin Prince, like the Gryffindor students kept away from me – the girl that used to be Harry Potters' best friend. I suppose it's hard to be a Death Eater, even in Slytherin. I thought as I eyed the young man sitting next to me. But that's just it. Slytherin students are by no means evil witches and wizards, even though most of the evil ones come from Slytherin. They're ambitious, cunning and clever. But is Draco Malfoy an evil person?

I stared at him. It seemed like he wore the weight of the world on his shoulders. His grey, usually cold eyes were desperate even though he hid it well behind his mask. His blonde hair was messier than usual, and his brow had been slightly furrowed ever since he came back to school. There was something big going on right now and he was hardly able to cope with it.

My body reacted on its own and I rested my hand on top of Malfoy's. "Everything will work out eventually. Everything will be fine, you'll be fine," I said with a small smile until his eyes suddenly turned into a cold, hard glare. "I am fine," he hissed through his teeth, pulling his hand away from mine. Within seconds he'd grabbed his stuff and, without another glance, he stormed out of the library.

At least we both knew that was a load of bollocks.

xxxxx

6th of October, 1997

A day later, after dinner in the Great Hall, I made my way towards the library once again. I decided it was time for me to talk to Ginny tomorrow, even though she probably wouldn't hear me out. I had been too scared – was still too scared even – but it had to be done. About a thousand different scenarios played out inside my head, none of them with a very good outcome.

I made a right turn whilst still deep in thought, until someone yanked me backwards against a wall. "What the-" my voice was cut off by a rather large hand. Feeling a little disoriented, I found a pair of dark eyes staring at mine menacingly. Zabini. "Oh well, look who it is – the good friend," I mumbled against his hand, but I knew he couldn't understand exactly what I said. What a shame.

His eyes were cold, dangerous even. He suddenly slammed both his hands against the wall, one on each side of me, in an attempt to intimidate me. At least I would be able to talk again, but there was no way I could get out of here. Instead, I straightened my back and kept on staring at him. He almost smirked, maybe even a little impressed – if he hadn't been this pissed off that is.

"Don't pull something like that again, Blackwood," his voice was threatening, his jaw clenched. I put my hand on his chest and felt that his heartbeat was beating like crazy – adrenaline from his anger was overwhelming his usual calm demeanor. I pushed him slightly further away, although I was quite gentle. We don't want the bomb to explode. "Let's come to an understanding here, shall we?" I asked as I never broke eye-contact. If looks could kill, I would've dropped dead about five times by now. He wasn't looking for an understanding – he wanted power – and he wanted it over me.

"Simply don't pop up like that again whenever I'm with Malfoy and you'll have my word." "You're telling me to stay away from a friend?!" he almost spat the words in my face and I had to keep myself from rolling my eyes at him. "I've always been under the impression that you're not really friends with anyone. Mutual respect, maybe. Not that it really matters," I said, holding up my hand to keep him from interrupting me. "You didn't listen. Be friends with Draco all you want, just don't pop up like that again when I am around."

For a minute or two he just stared at me, almost as if he had to regain his calmness. "You're a feisty little one, huh? No wonder Draco likes you," he eventually said as he moved his arms away. We kept staring at each other for another few, long seconds before I decided it was enough and got back onto my path towards the library.

Malfoy actually liking me, right.