At Last

(L/n) switched on the lights as she entered the premises. It smelled familiar to her– the mix of sweat, rubber, and wax. Her rubber shoes squeaked on the floor. 

She breathed deeply, rubber shoes squeaking as friction was made every step she made. (E/c) orbs scanned the players as they ran around, passing the ball, defending, and making attempts to make a shot. She stopped a ruler's length away from the line to tie up her hair into a ponytail and tucked one hand into her jacket, the other resting on her side. She tugged a little on her shorts, peeved about its length.

"So, you really are trying to figure things out on your own?" 

Kise stood beside her, taking his time to absorb their surroundings.  She scoffs at his sudden intrusion. He pulled up the sleeves of his jacket. Underneath it was his basketball uniform.

"Are you going to kick these kids' ass at basketball? 

"Is that obvious?" 

"You do like winning. So why not beat up a weaker opponent?" 

"I do like winning, but maybe I plan on teaching these kids, don't you think?"

"I believe that there's more to that than just playing today." 

He smiles at her reply. 

They took a few moments of silence, basking in each other's presence in the most innocent way. The memories of their younger years were absorbing them. Neither one of them could say a thing, but they knew that they were thinking of the same thing. 

"I'm free." 

"Free from what?" he teasingly asks. "Don't tell me you just got out of prison." 

"...Well, if you want to call engagement a prison, then maybe that would be applicable," she replied. "That might be typical for a man like you though." 

"Oh (F/n)cchi~ You hurt my feelings! You should know that I don't mind being locked down if it was you who'd do the honors," he cooed. 

She shook her head and laughed a little. 

"Is that your way of asking me out?" 

"Well, how do you suggest that I do it?" 

"I don't know, Kise-kun. Why don't you figure that out on your own?" 

"How about I kiss you again so I'd get you to tell me?" 

"D-don't you dare!" 

He looked at her and became absolutely charmed– her cheeks were red, her ears were almost ringing in embarrassment, and she was swinging her arms, as if that would keep her safe– she was just too adorable for him to handle. His features settled into gentleness, which was akin to being angelic. 

Kise cupped her cheeks and leaned down to plant a kiss on her forehead. 

His actions stunned (L/n) that it stopped her from doing anything else crazy. She slowly reached up to his hands, then rubbed her thumbs in a circular motion on the back of each. 

"(F/n)cchi," he breathes. 

He puts his forehead against hers. 

He was happy. He was too happy. He couldn't exactly explain how it's happening. All he knew was that the lone fact that she was breathing the same air he was breathing and that he could feel her so closely was driving him mad deep down, tearing him apart. He could tell she felt the same way, just by seeing the smile he fell in love with long ago that couldn't be wiped off was there. 

"I know that things aren't easy for you right now, but could you please let me be a part of your life? I really don't want to be away from you any longer. I couldn't handle it–" 

(L/n) pulls his hand away from her cheek and slipped her fingers in between his. 

"You're ridiculous, Ryo-kun," she said. 

She gave him a reassuring squeeze before letting go and skipping out of the Kaijo gym. 

"H-hey! Where are you going?!" 

"Anywhere else but here! Come on, you're distracting children!" 

"...They've passed the cooties age!" he  shouted back. "

She rubbed her face. 

"I just think it's inappropriate!" 

He took a few minutes to decide something that they both should work on. 

"How about..." he began as he walked towards her. "...we go out for some coffee?" 

He took both of her hands and held them closer to him. 

"And let's just know more about each other. Just that.  Is that okay with you?" 

She smiles brightly at him. 

"Now that's how you ask someone without being too cheesy. Come on, let's go." 

(L/n) pulled him away from their old school, and into the vast city of Tokyo. 

They walked together, laughing, like as if nothing had ever happened between them. 

"Maybe this is what love really feels like,"  Kise thought. 

His golden eyes followed her every movement. He watched her talk.  Even though he couldn't really put his attention into listening to what she's saying, and she was well aware of that, she just keeps going. It was like that before and being together that way just made him feel a state of ecstacy that no vice could ever offer. 

For now, they'd spend their time oogling over each other like they just met at kindergarten. They'd tell their friends all about it some other time. 

But even if they don't say a word, just like them, they already knew. 

Oh, they knew she had him hooked.

As they go, Kise just knew, that the woman he was with at the moment didn't need changing. Because he figured that she loved him as much as he does. 

Nothing could ever change that.