Simula

Simula

"I'll see you this summer, Mommy!" maligaya kong sabi rito.

Ngumiti si Mommy at naka ngiting sumandal sa braso ni Daddy. My smile grew wider as I watch them looked lovingly at each other. I'm currently in Paris, France right now to finish my college degree. I'm taking up fashion designing and interior designing at the same time. Fashion and interior designing because that's what I really love to do.

Mommy flashed her sweetest smile and nodded through the screen. "I can't wait for summer to come, then. I miss my little princess."

I pouted and creased my eyebrows. "I'm not little na, Mommy! And come on, we just met each other last week and summer is three weeks away."

Daddy chuckled and tapped Mommy's arm. "Let your daughter wander and be independent, Karylle."

Mommy laughed. "Fine. I love you, my daughter. Please always remember that." sabi nito at madamdaming ngumiti.

"Mom! So cheesy, but I love you too. Anyway I gotta go. See you soon!"

I didn't know why my heart pounded crazily that time but when I received a call one summer morning I realized why... My heart literally crashed into pieces. I did not know that, that was the last time that I would be able to talk to my mother. I did not know that, that was the last time that I would be able to see her smile and hear her laugh.

Napatitig ako sa telepono na nagri-ring sa harapan ko. I stared at it blankly and numbly. Today is my mother's wake and I don't... no I won't attend. I don't want to see her there... She shouldn't be there. Maybe I'm just dreaming and all of this will soon turn into a nightmare.

Tatlong bagsak ng katok ang narinig ko sa aking pintuan. Lumingon ako roon at nakita ang aming mayordoma. Manang Felly looked so down and forlorn. Matamlay itong ngumiti sa akin ngunit hindi ko iyon magawang suklian. My eyes probably is swollen right now and people would think that I'm using drugs for the dark circles under my eyes.

"Kelsey, hija, halika na't puntahan natin ang mommy mo. Nagaantay na sa'yo ang daddy mo sa ibaba," malungkot nitong wika sa akin.

Umiling ako rito saka tumalikod. Humigpit ang pagkakayakap ko sa unan ko at tumitig sa malamig na pader ng kwarto ko. "I'm not going, manang. Please tell daddy that I won't go and he can't make me... and please, starting from now on, don't call me Kelsey, call me Fleurette instead."

"Pero hija-"

Hindi na nito naituloy pa ang sasabihin niya nang makitang ibinaon ko na ang mukha ko sa mga unan. I can't... I just can't think of anything right now but my Mom. Everything happened so fast... Life is just so unfair...

A year passed and I haven't even moved on from the heartbreak of my lost mother and yet daddy caused me another heartbreak again. It was a sunday morning, and I was just starting to cope up with myself, I was just starting to walk again... I was just starting to try again and yet...

"Fleurette, this is your Aunt Lianna and her daughter Brianna, starting from now on they will be living here with us. I will marry your Aunt Lianna in time so consider calling her Mom and Brianna is older than you. You can call her ate, didn't you tell me that you've always wanted to have a sister?" dad drawled one summer morning.

Weeks and weeks passed and I decided to drop out from my school in Paris. I told Daddy that I don't want to study for the mean time but he got me home schooled. Hindi kami magkasundo ni daddy dahil pinalipat ako nito sa business ad.

I was always out of our house and my great 'sister' is pleasing daddy way too much. Kaya bakit pa ako kaylangan doon kung mayroon nanaman siyang bagong prinsesa, hindi ba?