A Way Out

Chapter 2

I woke up restless today with a pounding headache and boy was I cranky! Kayla was up ALL last night wanting me to feed and hold her. I glanced at the alarm clock noticing the time. 8:28 A.M. I eased myself out of bed and opened my nightstand drawer to find some pain killers. I took some water and swallowed back three.  

I ate my Cheerios in silence while staring at the stack of bills that sit untouched on the counter. I needed some more diapers and formula today. It was either my electric bill or that. I ran my hand through my long dark brown hair and called Erin needing someone desperately.

"Hey Sar-bear!" I chuckled out of the use of my childhood nickname.

"Hey Erin! Do you think I could come over for in a few? I need to vent," I said half sighing my words.

"Yes of course! Come on over darling. Plus I have something to tell you. It's very exciting!" I smiled at her willingness to be there for me.

It felt good that someone wanted me other than just to play dolls.

"Okay. Thanks! On my way..." I hung up and got Kayla ready to bring over with me because I wasn't about to call for the babsitter again. Anyways, Erin would appreciate being able to see her. 

After I walked the street and rounded a corner for about 15 minutes I stopped at her doorstep and knocked.  

"Hey girl, come on in!" I smiled at Erin a genuine smile because I truly loved her, but a lot of the times I got jealous of her.

She still had a beautiful body not ruined by a baby, and she had a nice apartment with decorative pillows and artwork. While my apartment looked a lot like something that you just moved into. Barren. I had one couch and an old beat up TV that barely worked. The walls were peeling and the only room that was halfway descent was mine and Kayla's. We shared a room and it was cramped, but I painted the walls a light pink and did some DIY projects to spice up the rainforest tropical theme. It was what I had to work with and it was the closest thing I had to a nursery. Also, Erin still had both if her parents. She's 18 and moved out on her own already, but she sees her parents regularly, and they actually want her. I grew up mostly in a foster care home since my parents abandoned me when I was born. I ran away in a desperate attempt to escape and start over. I was born in Massachusetts, but I ran away to Vancouver, Canada. It took a while, but I guess you could say I finally found a home. I was drawn to the area, and I didn't know why. So basically I was 14 and out on my own. I got an under-the-table-job and was making minimum wage so I could eat. By that time I met Erin. Her parents took me under their wing and bought me an apartment along with registering me in school. That's when the bullying and random guys happened. My head snapped back to reality.

"Are you okay?!" Erin said over me wide eyed.

"Yeah." I managed to get out.

"You just walked in, left Kayla inside her stroller, then curled up on the couch. I think you and I need to talk." She said eyeing me.  

We talked for about an hour or 2 about my problems and what I could do to solve them. Venting was good for me. It let off some steam that would otherwise be bottled up.

"Well, I guess I better head home then. Kayla's getting fussy." I sighed. Erin sprang up in her seat.

"Wait before you go! I have some exciting news to cheer you up! We're going to see Marianas Trench, fucking front row!" I stared at her my eyes full of surprise and excitement as my mouth just wouldn't close.

"Ohmygod are you serious right now!" I practically yelled in her face.

"Yup it's happening at the Verizon stadium, at 7:00 P.M., and its on Saturday!" She chanted. I smiled wide and happy now that I knew I'd be able to sorta meet Josh Ramsay in a way.

It was Thursday today so I had one freaking day to get ready for it!

"What about Kayla?!" I said doubting that I would be able to grab the babysitter on such short notice.

"My mom and dad aren't working that day so they offered to babysit while we're gone." She smiled.

"Okay, wow great how much..." I started but then Erin cut me off.

"Hey ey ey ey there this night is on me! Don't worry about gas money, food, none of that stuff. You WILL enjoy yourself without spending any money. On me!" She raised her arms and dropped them to her sides in a insisting type way.

I knew she wouldn't budge, but just to make sure I said, "Are you sure Erin? I know you're saving your money for college I feel bad just taking it..." I weakly stated.

"NO, stop you are not taking my money when this is something that I want to do for you." She stated in a trying-to-be-serious tone trying not to laugh.

I chuckled, "Okay miss little insister pants. I'll go with you." I stated with my hands up in a defensive mockery position.

"Okay good." She said as she hugged me tight. We said our goodbyes while jumping up and down and screeching because we were so excited for the concert.