Blood of The Prophet

"Sage!" Alec growls, "You cannot deny me this! I need to know!" He turns, planning to enter the hut once again, and is stunned to see that the entrance is now a solid piece of quartz, much like the strange wall of her home.

"Where you get enough of this wretched stone is beyond me!" Alec shouts, kicking the quartz and stomping back to his own home. The Seraphs around the clearing watch him go, some with understanding sympathy, some with snide contempt.

Alec violently shoves his way through the underbrush, cursing and shouting insults for the sage. He stops suddenly, falling to his knees on the dirt and running his fingers through his hair.

"I need to know that she will live," Alec whispers, unaware of the Sage's watching him as tears begin to form in his eyes. The Sage smiles sadly, waving her hand in front of the quartz wall to clear the magical image. 

"You will know in due time, Mere-Laets." she murmurs, turning to the far wall of her home.

 The sage delicately lifts a piece of soft velvet, revealing a set of gloves with metal, clawed adornments. She lifts the weapons, sliding them onto her hands with the ease of familiarity. Flexing her hands back in a jerking motion, the claws retract onto the back of her hands, leaving her free to pull two elegant swords from the wall.

"You will know soon," she corrects herself in a whisper, "Mere-Laets."

She lifts the skirt of her dress, slashing a shallow, stinging gash into her calf and wincing. The blood flows, revealing strange silvery flecks that twinkle and wink in the candle light as if they knew many, ancient secrets. 

The sage runs the edge of both swords through the streaming blood, a low hiss escaping her clenched teeth.

"Very, very soon."