Chapter 5: I done a bad thing

I sat cross-legged on the oh so comfortable motel bed. My Uncle was on his laptop and I didn't even want to think about what he was doing.
My Dad, was reading a newspaper. But, he wasn't really reading it. I'd been watching him for the past twenty minutes, he hasn't even turned the page.

"I need pie, you guys want anything?" Dean stood up, slamming his laptop shut.
I shook my head, taking out an earphone.
"Don't have too much fun without me." Dean rolled his eyes before closing the door.

"Charming." I mumbled.

"How are you feeling?" My Dad asked, putting the paper down.

"Alright I guess." I shrugged, not wanting to talk about my Mum.
I didn't sleep the night before, I read her journal, too tired to cry.

"Alice, I'm serious." My Dad pushed and I blinked away any tears that would have fallen

"I know, I mean it. I'm okay, I promise." I lie.
He gave a huff in response and didn't push any further, deciding to change the subject.

"When Dean bets back we can check out that orphanage. We can say we're thinking about adoption and try and find those kids. Did anyone mention how many kids or genders or anything useful?"

"I remember something about twins." I realised.

"Well, shouldn't be too hard to miss then." He smiled.

And for the first time in a while I felt okay. Not the sort of okay that lasts, but the sort that was enough for the time being.
I liked my Dad, I truly did.
I remember always thinking that of I ever met him I'd get angry he left me, or I'd walk away like a badass, or something dramatic.
And here I was hunting with him.
Something so normal- well, normal for Hunters anyway.

Dean opened the door with a half eaten pie and a satisfied grin plastered on his face.
"Pie." He grinned at me when I looked up. I laughed lightly "I can see that."

///////// ///////// ///////// ///////// ///////// ///////// /////////

"We're gonna check out the orphanage, pose as a family looking into adoption."
My Dad piped up in the car ride.

"Okay, so, who am I? Some sad clingy brother?" Dean frowned.

"Good point," I caught on "I guess you'll have to be a couple."

You felt the car shake with Deans shock "WHAT?! NO!" He looked complete my taken back.

"Why not? Two gay men with a lonely daughter looking for kids, it's more believable."

Dad looked as shocked as Dean "Alice, we're not posing as a gay couple." He scoffed.

"Just pretend Sam's Cas." I suggested to Dean.

"What?!" Dean was becoming ever more confused.

"C'mon, you two are practically a couple." I laughed.

"We are not a couple." Dean hissed.

"Sure." I grinned.

"Well, she kinda has a point." Dad agreed.

"No, she does not 'have a point' " Dean argued.

"No, I mean about the gay couple thing. It's weird, I'll grant that, but it might actually work."

At that moment the car puller up to Wittard's orphanage, I shuddered, remembering when I stayed there for rest bite care when I was a lot younger and my Mum was on a hunt far away from home. It wasn't fun. At all.

Uncle Dean looked masterfully pissed off as we got out, he glared at me momentarily, only to get a sweet smile in return.
"Let's get this over and done with." He mumbled, heading to the front door.

After convincing the social worker that we were a family looking for adopting and just happened to turn up out of the blue, Dad and Uncle Dean were left to fill out some forms and have a chat. Whereas I managed to persuade then to let me "get to know" the kids. The twins were easy to spot, they were both almost exactly the same. Girls. Blonde hair. Brown eyes. Slightly shorter than average. And way too much makeup on, they looked like oranges with a painted face on. I resisted the urge to laugh and made my way over to them. They looked up at me with disgust.
Ugh, what were they, like, 12??

I smiled none the less and got to work.

It felt strange being at an orphanage again, it reminded me of Mum. 
Would she be proud of me?

I found my Dad, but she was always so weirdly insistent I didn't do so before she died. I think she resented him a little, for leaving her. But, to be fair, she didn't actually tell him she was pregnant. Would that have changed things?

///////// ///////// ///////// ///////// ///////// ///////// /////////

Once again I was finished before them, sat waiting in the hallway, watching one of the boys struggling to put a piece of a toy together.
I smiled and wondered over to him, I bent down and mumbled a "Here." Before snapping them together. The boy smiled at me shyly and whispered a thank you.

He had another thing, a soft toy elephant with one of the ears missing, the boy was refusing to let go of it despite the fact he was playing with something else.

I winked him before standing back up and I was about to leave for good when he said something that made me stop in my tracks:

"Are you here about the monster?"

He spoke so quietly I almost missed it, but I knew what I heard.

I turned back round and sat down on the floor in front of him. "What's your name?"

"Jack."

"Well then Jack, what makes you think there's a monster?"

"I saw it inside Mummy. She looked like Mummy but it wasn't her.  Mummy doesn't hurt people."

"Did you notice anything else?"

"Mummy's dead." He whispered, his face pale and shocked.

"Did I do a bad thing?" He added "I done a bad thing didn' I?"

"No, Jack, you've done nothing wrong. None of this is because of you, okay?"

"Now," I took in a deep breath before carrying on "Do you mean your Mummy died before the monster of afterwards?"

"Before! In a car crashing." He looked at me with scared eyes again and I nearly moved away.

"Are the twin girls here...Abbie and Josie... Are they your sisters, Jack?" I asked, realising what he meant.

He nodded and went back to his toys, ignoring me. "I done a bad thing." He whispered again, his grip tightening on the elephant.