Part 2

"I need a coffee!" I complained to Kate, who I shared the position of Corporate Community Development Manager with me at Hudson & Smith Enterprises, a fairly new but promising Professional Consulting Firm. Working in North Sydney saved me the trip over the Harbour Bridge during peak hour traffic. Our offices were on the twenty-first floor, with beautiful views over Sydney Harbour, including the Harbour Bridge and Opera House. I was a lucky woman.

"There's coffee in the conference room. Management called in a short notice meeting. An investor is visiting today. They probably want to make sure they have us all in line," Kate informed me with a sideways nod to the conference room.

A meeting with management was the last thing I needed on a Monday morning. I got along well with my superiors but preferred to just do my work with my team.

As expected, a potential investor was visiting from overseas. And if we all sucked up to him well enough, he would possibly take us to the next level, which meant: International. He apparently already invested a few years back and now considered giving us a bigger shot. As Richard, our CEO, pointed out with a wink at me, our guest was German. I wasn't sure why I needed to know as I had no influence on investment matters and most likely would not be required as an interpreter. If you can invest millions, sure enough you speak sufficient English to cut the deal.

Back in the office, Kate and I informed our team about the visit of Mr Mayer, so everyone was at their best, should he, indeed, have the wish to include our social responsibility division in his decision making process.

"Kate," I called her after getting my third cup of coffee. It was just past ten, but I needed the caffeine and wanted to put one of my ideas forward, which I'd been carrying around for a while now. "I really like to discuss the orphan project with Richard when he's free again." As CEO, Richard had the last word in all decisions. He was in his early sixties and an amazing boss. Giving good direction, he took suggestions seriously and made sure all staff felt comfortable working for him. "I think we should discuss it with him together, actually. The last time I talked to him about it, he wasn't all too fond of the idea, but I really feel we can do something great here."

"You're not talking about that orphan project again, are you?" Tanya, our receptionist, asked snippyly. As bitchy as she was, she was an eye-catcher with her long, fire-red curls, her tall, slender form and pale skin. Ever since she's had an affair with Michael, Richard's son and second in charge, she poked her nose in even more matters that were none of her business. We figured that it must have been her way of getting his attention, which didn't seem to work, but then - she had never been a nice person.

"Tanya," I answered as politely as I could, "why don't you head back to your desk and do your nails or something?" I know, it was low, but she was agitating and I was past the point of pretending politeness. Just then, I noticed that the door to our office had opened and saw Richard, Michael and - oh dear - Mr Sex in a suit. I couldn't remember the last time I'd seen a man who knocked me off my feet like this. Actually, I don't think I ever had. I felt like I was caught in a slow motion scene of a movie. His brown hair was side swept and shiny from gel. Oh, how I wished to put my hands through it. Through his with certainty custom-made suit, every muscle flex was visible as he moved his tall, broad body through the door frame. My cheeks prickled and I felt my mouth water. His face was the most beautiful one I had ever seen. Sky-blue eyes, a broad, masculine chin line and a mouth that screamed "kiss me". And the way he walked. Oh my. My fantasies were running wild.

My face heated up. Little tingles spreading over my skin, my head spinning. Nervously, I wriggled in my chair.

With Richard and Michael hanging on his coattails, he strode through the office, smelling like the epitome of sexiness and power from across the room. If he opens that mouth of his and speaks to me, I'm going to die right here, I thought. What is wrong with me?