Part 10

At exactly four o'clock the taxi arrived to pick me up. The ride to Dave's wouldn't take longer than five minutes. As soon as I sat down, a little nervous and anxious that everything would go to schedule this evening, my phone rang. I quickly gave the driver instructions before picking up. "Nurse Audrey told me who organised and paid for my amazing room," Hannah burst out. "You'll never believe who."

"Are you going to tell me?" I asked a little annoyed. I just wasn't in the mood for a question and answer game.

"It was your asshole lover boy." Her big smile was obvious even through the phone.

"No way, why would he do that? There must be a mistake?" I was baffled. Is he now after Hannah and thinks he can get a quickie that way? I kept my thoughts to myself but couldn't stop wondering.

"No mistake. He probably wanted to impress you."

"He did that well last night," I sighed. "Sorry, Han, but I've got to go. I'll call you in the morning, okay?" I ended the conversation as we arrived at Dave's place.

"Hey baby girl! You look stunning." Dave slid in the taxi next to me. As this was one of the major fundraising events of the year - we would even have TV coverage - I had my make-up and hair done by a professional stylist, with the intention of creating a more natural look, with nude lipstick and smoky eyes. My hair was done up in a demi chignon, open with cascading curls but pulled back on the top.

Kate and I had been dress shopping for the occasion weeks ago. We had both been given a three-hundred dollar allowance from HSE to purchase appropriate evening wear. The company often remunerated and encouraged their employees with bonuses. Apart from the good cause and great team, the appreciation from management made HSE a fantastic workplace. I wasn't the best at choosing fashion apparels and usually stuck to mainstream elegance, which in this case would have meant a classic black dress. With Kate's help however, I had chosen a beautiful one-shoulder sapphire blue gown, Grecian style. The elegant dress was floor length, with matching silver beaded waistline and broad shoulder strap. A chiffon train off the shoulder strap emblazed its backside. It was a simple, yet exciting gown. Because of the embroideries, only minimal jewellery was needed. I abstained from a necklace, and confined myself to a pair of silver drop earrings, a bracelet and ring, all adorned with synthetic sapphire blue stones. As my shoes would be hidden most of the time underneath the dress, I'd decided on a classic silver pair with only small heels. All in all, I was worth about five-hundred dollars, and very happy with my looks.

"Thanks Dave!" My mood lifted immediately in Dave's presence and I started looking forward to the event. "Looking quite spectacular yourself." I hardly ever got to see Dave in a suit, but this classic ensemble of a black suit with white shirt and bow tie looked stunning on him. "Is Corey not coming?"

"He'll probably join us later: Emergency surgery. That's the disadvantage of falling for a surgeon." I liked Corey a lot, but was glad to have Dave to myself for a while.

We arrived just after five at the marquee on Fleet Steps in the Royal Botanic Garden, with spectacular harbour views. The marquee had been decorated in a sophisticated carnelian red and white colour scheme.

As intended, we had arrived early which left me enough time to check in with Meredith from Living Free. Everything was going to plan, and I could concentrate on welcoming our main sponsors. With four-hundred guests, the venue was booked out. I therefore wanted to ensure to at least catch everyone on arrival. The first hour or two of these types of events were usually quite exhausting for me; thereafter I could relax and let others do their work.

Dave was by my side and had already organised two champagne glasses. "Don't worry. It will be a wonderful night. Here's an orange juice for you."

"Orange juice? I'll need something stronger than that," I replied snippy.