Part 15

Upon our arrival at the police station we were taken immediately into a room with only a conference table, chairs and a grey drawer. On top of it sat a fingerprint set.

The female officer who I'd met before, the one who usually took notes, stuck her head in to hand Hannah a form to fill out. Apart from personal information it asked for details of her lawyer and had all current statements attached, including Tom's and mine. Hannah read everything carefully. Re-living the attack and learning many new aspects left her shaken. To reassure her, I took her right hand in mine.

When Hannah finished reading, Constables Delauder, Lower and the female officer entered the room. I wondered if they had watched us, considering their perfect timing. They greeted us, then Hannah handed them the forms.

"I don't have a lawyer," Hannah informed them.

"Oh. We have been provided with the details of Hawkins Lawyers to represent you. Is that incorrect? They will be representing Mr Mayer as well, as he won't be able to appear in court himself," Constable Lower assured her.

"Oh!" Tom had mentioned at some point that he'd organise a lawyer, but we hadn't spoken about it since. 

"Is Tom a suspect in this case?" I asked. All eyes turned on me.

It hadn't appeared to me until now that Tom could be in some sort of trouble in this case due to his involvement, as he was the one found on the ground with Patrick. My heartbeat quickened at the thought I might see him again, if only in court.

"No. As a key witness though, his representation is essential for this case. At this point, he is not required to attend the court proceedings in person, but needs to be represented. - You were not informed of any of this?"

Slightly embarrassed, I replied, "Mr Mayer was only visiting from Germany and he has returned since. We haven't spoken lately."

I earned five nodding heads and compassionate smiles. Internally, I rolled my eyes.

Hannah gave her statement. We've both had reservations about Zoe accompanying us to the station, but she insisted. Now she was listening carefully. The shock was written on her face.

"You will be informed about the court hearing, Ms Rapold," Constable Delauder ended the interrogation.

"How do I get in contact with this lawyer?" Hannah asked flustered.

Lower smiled at her and explained, "If you haven't got their details, I suggest you look up Hawkins Lawyers. I'm surprised they haven't been in contact with you as yet. It's a highly respectable law firm. One of the best, to be honest." That didn't surprise me.

Outside the station Hannah turned to me, gave me a big hug and asked, "Should I be using this lawyer?"

"Definitely!" I assured her. "If they're the best, go for it."

"I don't think I'd be able to afford one of those hotshot solicitors. But are you really okay with it?"

"Hey!" I placed my hand on her shoulder, "Tom is trying to make sure that an awful person is being locked away. He's not doing it for me or you; He's doing it for justice."

Right at that moment, the front door to the station opened and Constable Lower appeared, handing Hannah a sticky note with the details of Hawkins Lawyers on it. There was no way he could have heard our conversation, leaving me with the conclusion that he must have excellent people skills.

"If you're planning to go ahead with a different lawyer, I just like to add that Mr Hawkins himself has been assigned to this case. He hasn't lost a single case, ever."