Part 7

It was already six o'clock by the time I was finally riding home in a taxi. I had lost track of the time. Surely, Emma's friend Chloe would have been picked up, and I hoped that my darling Sam had made his way home from Steven's place, who lived just around the corner.

Upon my arrival home, I heard loud laughing. Tom was playing soccer with Sam in the backyard. Emma was watching them, sitting with crossed legs on the side of the lawn while playing with a dandelion in her hand. If one didn't know any better, they would have thought we were one happy family. I was worried about the impact of this whole arrangement on the kids but convinced myself that we did get visitors from overseas quite frequently - family and friends - so why should this be different to them.

I poured myself a glass of water and sat down on the balcony to watch them. This was how I'd always imagined my life: A father who would play and laugh with his kids in his spare time. Unfortunately, Peter had always had other interests. His favourite activity with the kids had been watching television. And even then it often seemed to be a burden if it wasn't a movie he liked.

Half an hour later, they were still busy playing and I was still undiscovered watching them, when the doorbell rang. It was the pizza delivery service. Tom had been so sweet all day, so much more than just an arrangement. When I got my purse out to pay, the delivery boy wouldn't accept, explaining that everything had been paid for online. My heart twitched by the thought of how perfect Tom seemed to be. But then, he was only temporary, a player. His actions, gestures and words were part of that game, probably practiced hundreds of times. After all, he explained the ground rules to me and never misled me. Enjoy as long as you can, Lisa.

The twins and Tom were still giggling and laughing when they sat down for dinner.

"Your son is an amazing soccer player. I thought they all played rugby here?"

"Yes, he loves his soccer," I admitted. "He's been playing the top team ever since he was old enough to play."

"How is Hannah?" Emma asked, and I gave them a rundown on my afternoon at the hospital.

"Are you going to stay here tonight?" Emma questioned Tom innocently.

The slight blush spreading over his cheeks looked very cute. "I'm not sure."

"Stay over, then you can go to work with mum in the morning." Emma was so excited. I didn't know her like that at all.

"You're welcome to stay," I added, unable to hide my smirk, anticipation bubbling under my skin when he agreed with a nod of his head and promising raised brows.

By eight thirty both kids were fast asleep. Tom handed me a glass of wine and we settled on the balcony. "This house is beautiful. It's got a great view," Tom observed. I smiled at him, following his gaze over the bushland. "How long have you been living here?"

"We bought the house when the twins were little. Peter had inherited from his grandparents; otherwise we would have been unable to buy this place. It's great for the kids. I bet your home is stunning." I tried to steer the conversation in a different direction. It made me too sad to think about the upcoming sale of my beloved house.

"I believe it is. It's different. I'm hardly ever there." He took a pleasurable sip of his red wine. Even I could tell that this was an excellent brand with its rich and vibrant aroma.

"Thanks for today. - And yesterday. You didn't have to do all you did, but I very much appreciate it."

"It was a pleasure." Tom took that strand of my hair and combed it behind my ear. Looking me deep in the eyes he continued, "Your kids are fun, they're great. You're doing an amazing job with them, all on your own."