// 2 //

Graduating secondary school was in no way easy. She had so many things due, but not enough time to actually do them, along with the fact that her clock had kept distracting her. It read 4 years now, meaning, at the age of 18, she still had to wait until she was somewhere close to a college of some sort. It hurt her heart, but she pushed through – the occasional Rhett thing popping up here and there (even if he was supposed to have graduated like 3 years ago.)

    She walked into the gymnasium on a Saturday, her graduation day when it was actually time to get the official document. But, along with her diploma, she was going to get her associate's degree because of the extra classes she took. 

    Her gown hung low, dragging against the wooden floor. She listened to the chatter that echoed through the room, looking up in the bleachers to see so many families, including her own with her fifteen year old brother sitting there – which surprised her slightly, considering he had hit that stage in which he felt like the only place he should be was his room playing games, or asleep while death metal music played. She knew that stage all too well but was just glad it didn't affect the way he dressed every day and the way he messed with his face. 

    She was tapped on her shoulder, catching her attention with a quick notification that her tassel was on the wrong side. She said thank you, flipping it, then listened as the teacher conducting traffic (basically) told her to go so she could get in her chair to fill in the last of the row. 

    The anxiousness was building up inside her stomach, making her want to throw up because it was putting her stomach in knots. It was just the initial fear of getting up on stage that scared her; the stage was never her place to be, and she liked to keep it that way - until today, that is.

    The principal walked up onto the stage, clearing his throat into the microphone to get all of the seniors attention, as well as the families in the bleachers. Once everyone was silent, the principal started to talk, introducing himself, then saying congratulations to the seniors for graduating and getting out of the hellhole known as high school. The gym echoed with small laughs coming from the students whose nerves weren't tied tight enough that they could barely hold anything in their stomach.

    He then started to inform us of the things that would be happening at this graduation ceremony, and how everything was going to go down. She looked down at her hands, watching as she mindlessly laced them together, then unlacing in a rhythmic pattern. She looked to her left, where she saw one of her classmates doing almost the same thing, just reaching up and scratching his eyebrow then repeating the cycle once again. When she looked to her right, she saw the aisle that was yet to be the last aisle she would walk down in this high school.

    It was all a blur until the principal called her name, turning all of the heads of the students who knew who she was, vaguely remembered her, or were simply just looking around for the next person to stand up and come face-to-face with their future (basically, anyway.) She stood up, heart going a little faster than it probably should have in that moment in time. 

    She could feel the eyes of the other kids as she walked up to the stage, her heart beat in her ears. She knew that she shouldn't have been that nervous, it was only a graduation, and it wasn't like they were about to tell her where she was going to live and how she was going to live the rest of her life.

    Making it up to the stage, she put a small smile on her face. Thoughts of her past started to come at her, violently attacking her mind; it was everything from her encounters with Rhett, to when she was a small child and she would look at her clock with all of her other friends and wonder what their soulmates would look like. When she shook the principal's hand, she saw how his clock was faded, and the numbers were a dark red. She knew what that meant, but didn't comment, because saying something about that to a widower, it just wasn't something that was okay.

    She felt the papers enter her hands, one after the other then shook the principal's hand once more before going back to her seat. Her mom was crying, her dad comforting her, and her brother just didn't care as he listened to his music on a volume that allowed him to drown everything out. She barely listened as everyone got their diplomas, the valedictorian – who she really didn't want to be in this moment – giving their speech and making the principal clap like he actually cared about what they had to say. 

    She walked out of the gym and met up with her parents, listening to how the kids around her gushed about they were finally done with high school and they couldn't wait to get to college and then get the job they always wanted to have. "Y/n, I'm so proud of you sweetie," her mother gushed, like every other kid standing in the courtyard. She laughed and gave her mom a hug, then gave her dad a hug, hearing practically the same thing from him that she got from her mother. Her brother merely gave her a high five, said, "Awesome Zero," and went back to the car he came in with their parents. 

    She continued to talk to her parents about her school life, and where she was going for college. "Yeah, I'm definitely heading to L.A. for college, I just think it's the best degree plan out there," she stated, answering her mother and father's question. They both nodded, her father placing his hand on her shoulder as a sign of, 'We'll always support you.' 

    She rubbed her belly, feeling it grumble and getting her parents attention back to present time and not on the future. They all laughed and headed to the car, where her brother had fallen asleep due to an immense amount of boredom. 

    She looked down at her clock, thinking about how her soulmate must feel at the fact that the time until the day they would meet was wasting away. She hoped he was happy because she knew she was beyond excited to take the next step in life and get even closer to seeing him.

»»»»»»»∞∞∞∞««««««« 

    He finished up with his editing, posting the video and sighing as he sat back in his white chair. Octodad was way too frustrating. He fixed the square glasses on his face and ran his hand through his freshly cut mohawk-fohawk haircut he had. There was simply too much time on his hands since he had dropped out of college to pursue a career in the video gaming arts. 

    He stood up, walking through his apartment, circling every room at least once before finally settling on the living room. Mark turned on the T.V., initiating his second profession: channel surfing. His mind started to wander as he continuously pressed the channel up button and mindlessly stared at the screen mounted up above his fireplace. 

    When would he meet his soulmate? He knew his clock read fours years, but what was the specific day? What was the exact minute he would meet her? Would it be in the afternoon? Or would it be in the morning? It would have to be sometime in between because in the afternoon, he was way too busy to go out and do something, and in the morning, he was too tired from being so busy the night before; he was too busy, period. 

    How would he meet her? Would he accidentally bump into her, making her spill the drink in her hand all over him? No, that's too cliché. Will they meet and just casually talk about absolutely nothing because they're too awkward for anything else? Probably, sounds like him.

    What would she look like? Would she be perfect in every way? Like every other stereotypical girl? Or would she be average; would she look like just another face in the crowd? He didn't really know how to picture her, his image would change too much; he was too many different moods all at once and that was what made him picture things, picture her. 

    When he was happy, he would imagine her happy with a bright smile on her face. When he was mad, he would imagine her angry with an unhappy look in her eye that would burn down some random building like she was some type of person from Krypton. When he was sad, he would imagine her with tears in her eyes, or a slight frown while she hung her head. But, even if he imagined all of that, there were no distinct features; she was basically a vague image in his mind with a little bit of vividness to her. 

    He looked down at his clock again, wishing it would read something other than 4 years. He wished so badly to see her, to hold her, like he did every day; like he did when there were 6 years on his clock. He started to smile, knowing that the day he gets to meet her was coming closer, even if it was ever-so-slowly. He was beyond happy, beyond excited, beyond anxious. The best part was, it was as if he knew she was happy to see that, too. His last thought before sleep took him into its sweet embrace, Please, let me hold her in my arms tonight, even if it just my imagination.