Traveling With Alchemists

Roy stood in front of the finally complete group. Ed and Al sat next to each other in the comfy armchairs in front of Roy's large desk. The Armstrong siblings stood across the room from each other, glaring. Ling and May sat cross legged on the rug in the center of the room. Scar stood with his back to the wall, not looking at anyone. The Fuhrer took a deep breath and smiled. "Crazy to be back together again huh?" He asked, hiding his worry. "Yeah..." Ed said, flicking his eyes at the Ishvalan. Olivier drew her blade and begun cleaning it on her coat sleve. "Okay. Ling and May have their scent, we just have to follow it." He said seriously, looking gratefully at the two from Xing. Al raised his hand. "Won't they expect us to do that?" He asked quietly, trying not to anger Roy. "I don't care. We have them and we're acting on it." He paced back and forth in front of the window, looking out across the still partially destroyed city. The rebuilding of Central had been slow, especially because they were putting so much money into the Ishval project. "Can he shut off alchemy like Father did?" Scar asked in his gravely voice. He didn't look  like he belonged in the group. He was darker skinned, red eyed, and strong. May ran to him and took his hand. "If he does, we're backup!" She smiled up at him. He had become somewhat of a father figure to her. He nodded and gave her a very faint smile. Roy waved them back to attention. "Tomorrow we head out. We have to take a train to Briggs. They're in the underground tunnels that you traveled through last year." Ed shuddered. He had nearly died there last year. If it weren't for some of Kimblee's Chimera, he wouldn't be here today. "Dress warm." Olivier said briskly, and walked out of Roy's office, her brother dashing after her in panic. The others worked out some details that Olivier hadn't already given them, then disbanded for the night. Again, Roy stayed in his office, barely sleeping at his desk.

...

The group of alchemists sat on the first train of the day, headed North. Much to Ed's dismay, Winry had joined them. 

"Who else will fix your leg?!" She shrieked as they had left their house. "You don't have to fix everything!" He yelled back at her. 

They sat silently on the train now, not talking to each other. Winry was sad that Riza wasn't with them. She had become like a sister to her. Riza's dog Black Hayate sat on her lap, sleeping. "Did you have to bring the animal? Edward snarled. "Yes! Dogs are smart." Winry retorted. "Will you two stop fighting?!" Al shouted, surprising everyone there.  He covered his mouth and took a deep breath. "The dog and Winry can help, brother. Please let her make her own decisions." He sat back, his blond hair rumpled from the travel. Ed folded his arms, but made no further comment. Roy gave the younger boy a grateful nod. 

The train dropped them off at the bottom of the mountain trail. The group climbed for an hour before taking a break. Roy looked at the tall mountains covered in white snow. Olivier breathed deeply, happy to be home. Alex actually put his shirt on because it was so cold. They had a snack, then got back to climbing. When they reached the underground tunnels, Roy lit a flame in his palm and gestured for them to follow. Olivier followed close behind him with the map. 

The group reached the stairs that lead down to Pride's lair. May and Ling shuttered. "That's it." The prince said shakily. "Move on soldiers." Roy snapped and started down the stairs. At that moment, a shadow swept up to meet them. Roy stumbled back, causing everyone to stumble. They all prepared their alchemy, but the shadow made it through anyway. Olivier shot at it, but nothing happened. "What the hell?" She shouted. "It's Pride." Al said, "Put out the light!" Roy hid his flame, and the shadow disappeared. "He didn't even wait for his goons to fight us first." Scar said quietly. "He knows we're powerful." Roy said in the dark, and they all fell back away from the stairs to find a way around Pride. .