Chapter 5: Life is Never Simple

*ALEX*

I awoke this morning and almost thought that I was going to wake up back in my bed in LA, and see that Pacific Ocean and endless horizon, but in instead as my eyes opened I realized that the ridiculous night that I had was not a cheesy sitcom in my head, when in reality it was my actuality.

                Should I call myself lucky? Or should I call myself doomed? Everywhere I stepped felt like a ticking time bomb for dramatics, but could I revel in it just a little bit? Could I be excited that boys are actually interested in me? Or do I have no idea what’s in store for me?

                My life in LA was nothing but a serious relationship and school, and even then it was troubled. Even when I took that year off it was nothing but dealing with Josh –that too had its own dramatics. I had spent my entire high school career dating the same guy for the most part, and with college starting at the end of this summer I was ready for what my youth really called for: fun and fanatics. At (almost) 20 years old I need change.

                In LA the brunettes never got as much attention as the blondes, and I was untouchable because I had a boyfriend. None of the boys wanted to date, or chase me, or did much of anything while I was dating Josh, I was his property. And having the same friends never helped. That’s why starting at UCLA, and spending my summer here was going to be ME time; a time where I can just do whatever.

                Is there rhyme to my reason you might ask? And I guess I want to say: No there isn’t and I don’t particularly want any rhyme to any of my reasons.

                My life felt so calculated up till now and this was me escaping the predictable. Maybe this summer was crazy, it’s the craziest I have ever felt, but for some reason the adrenaline of the unknown keeps me excited and wanting more. It all feels too instinctually right, yet logically wrong at the same time.

                From my bed I could see the woods at the edge of the grass. I squinted to see if I could still see Seth’s house from here but I couldn’t.

                What time was it?

                I peered over at my cell phone: 10:00AM. I still had time before the shit-storm that was Brandon would come over. I was hoping to somehow avoid Stephanie notice him picking me up, and hoped he wouldn’t just ring the door bell.

*Seth*

                Brandon twirled around in my computer chair as I sat on the edge of my bed. I couldn’t believe what I was hearing.

                “So did you meet Stephanie’s cousin?” He asked me.

                Play it cool Seth, no one knows anything. No know one needs to know that you made out with the new girl.

                “Yea, we sat next to each other on the same flight. She’s was really nice”

                She’s nice? That’s all I could say about her?  There was so much more to say.

                “She is hot” he spit out.

                Why did I cringe at hearing that? Was I about to get defensive? No, I am just going to go with the flow.

                “I can’t argue that. She is pretty hot” It was true.

                It was as if Brandon wasn’t even listening to me as he said “There’s something different about her.  I don’t know, I can’t get her out of my head and I only just met her”