Chapter 7: It's a Date

Chapter 7

Cassidy

After Jace got called into the office, he never came back to school. Like for the whole week. I thought it was a little weird. I don't really know what to think. What could've possibly happened? Did he get expelled or something? I don't really know anyone I could ask about him. I tried asking Brayden and Collin but they just said they didn't know. I feel like they do and just aren't telling me. I can't really blame them though, I hardly know him so why should they tell me.

The weekend comes around faster than I thought and I'm so happy. I put on some shorts and plain white tee. Putting curls in my hair and pinning it up in an up-do, I start to put on some light make up and walk downstairs.

I see that the living room light is on so I decide to peek in. Sticking my head through the door I find my mom sitting on the couch reading a book. I speak and say, "Hey mom, I'm gonna go out with a friend to the mall okay?" she looks up at me and nods.

"Alright."

Well that was easier than I thought.

"Alright," I say back to her but I think it was more of a question. I thought she was going to ask me about a million questions about this.

She nods her head at me again saying, "Alright. Go. It's about time that you get to have a permanent friend to rely on now. I'm not going to keep you from that anymore." I feel a little hesitant about what she just said. But I look away with a hint of suspicion behind my eyes. I look back to my mom to see she's still staring at me, probably wondering when I'm going to head out. I start to nod my head slowly, continually and slowly walk away.

I make my way out the front door locking it behind me. I press the button on my car keys hearing the familiar chirp of the doors being unlocked. I round myself to the driver side door and get in. I pull out my phone to text Lace.

To Lacey-Lace:

On my way. I'll see ya in a few. ;)

From Lacey-Lace:

K,k...I'm almost there. Meet you in the food court?

To Lacey-Lace:

Sounds good.

I put my phone back in my bag and put it on the floor of the passenger side (being on my phone or seeing people on their phone while driving gives me anxiety). I push the button to start the car and hear the engine roar to life. I look behind me and then to the back up camera and start to back-up out the driveway.

~~~

"Hey Lace," I say tapping her on the shoulder, smiling. She turns around and hugs me.

"Hey! You want something? I was thinking about getting a smoothie," she says to me smiling.

"I think I can take a slushy."

"Cool," she says with her eyes widening and her perfectly waxed eyebrows lifting up a bit.

Lace and I have gotten closer during the week. We don't have that much in common, actually we are complete opposites but when you look deep into our friendship; we can relate on so much. Lace is pretty much always happy and has a habit of half way screaming or just screaming all together when she talks. Me on the other hand, I wear my emotions on my arm and am calm for the most part when I talk.

We get to the front of the line we were standing in and hand the man behind the counter the money for our drinks. And I could've sworn that he was flirting with Lace.

Walking away from the line, Lace is just sipping on her smoothie like nothing just happened. I'm looking at her like she's crazy. A cute guy was just flirting with her and she is just acting like it didn't even happen. "Umm, excuse me!" I say to her.