Chapter 8: P.O.V. Tristan

After meeting Kara…I couldn’t stop looking at the broken mirror that Sami had showed me so long ago. I gazed at my reflection, and without looking away, I pulled out an old photo of me, before the time of the Angels, a year ago. I was smiling, my blond hair blowing while my dad pushed Kyle and me on the swings. My blue eyes glittering mischievously and my tan skin shined in the sun. My mother was reading a book in the background, smiling at us proudly. The blue sky was beautiful with white puffy clouds in the air, the big cherry blossom tree were under was dropping its beautiful pink petals. I gazed sadly at the image. Then transferred my eyes to the mirror.

          A completely different person was there, a person with gold eyes and ink black hair. He had large black bats under his eyes from days of restless sleep or no sleep at all. A smile on his face was nowhere to be seen, sad golden eyes were staring back up at me. I looked to and fro from the photo to the mirror. It couldn’t be me… I always had a smile, my blond hair was always messed up, and I had sapphire blue eyes… I didn’t look like… this.

          Kara’s words echoed through my head. ‘Let me guess, you are turning into an Angel.’ Am I really going to become one? Would my mother be proud of me then? Thinking of my mother, my hand went to the locket I had on my throat. I had completely forgotten about it. I clicked it open.

          It was a picture of my family, my Mom and Dad smiling up at me, happiness in their eyes. I looked at the other side, where is held Kyle and I. We decided at last minute to make faces at the camera… there we were, grinning our heads off and making faces of child hood. I smiled; I couldn’t possibly turn completely evil… I was determined not to forget.

          “You ok?” I turned to see Kara standing behind me.

          “Oh, ya, I’m fine.” I lied, standing up. The picture fluttered to the ground. I bent to pick it up, but Kara beat me to it. She picked it up and examined it.

          “Is this you?” She said, pointing at me when I was little. I nodded, looking up at her. Her short blond hair was blowing around her face, and her brown eyes were shinning. I smiled and walked next to her. I pointed at each person.

          “That’s my brother Kyle, you’ve meet him.” I said, pointing at Kyle who was laughing on the swing. “That’s my Dad, he was awesome, I loved him a lot.” I pointed at my Dad who was pushing both of us at the same time, smiling down at us. “And that is my mother.” I said, pointing at my Mom who was in the background holding a book smiling at us. Kara was silent..

          “What happened?”I looked down at the photo.

          “My Father turned into an Angel and killed my mother.” I said quietly. I looked at my Father’s face. He loved my Mother more than anything… how could he kill her? Could I turn completely evil? Kara took my hand.

          “You won’t be like that.” She said confidently. I looked at her.

          “How do you know? You’ll find out in 3 days…” I said, turning my attention back to my feet. She squeezed my hand.

          “You’ll be different. I promise.” I looked at her with anger.

          “You promise?” I said. She nodded.

          “I promise, but you have to make one for me too ok?” She said. I smiled.

          “Name your price.” I said.

          “Promise that you’ll love me forever?” I laughed.

          “I just met you Kara.”

          “Yes… but I already like you, and I think that you like me.” She said, smirking and winking. I laugh again.

          “Seems like a fair price.” I said, squeezing her hand. I fell silent. “But when I am Angel… what if I kill you?”  She smiled sadly.

          “I know you won’t. I made a promise that you would be different, and I know that you will and are.” She said.

          “I am alright.” I muttered.

          “What do you mean?” Kara said. I looked at her.

          “I’m going to be one in 3 days… tonight I will have the teeth, and then comes the skin… then comes the wings. One day after another. We have to reach Raphiel and get him to reverse it.” She looked at me and then hugged me.

          “I don’t care.” I looked down at her.

          “Really?”She nodded. “Thanks Kara… I needed that.” I hugged her back, and we looked at the sunset.

          Kyle ran over.

          “We got to get into hiding; the Angel’s will be coming soon.” He said, then looked at us and smirked. “Did you two just hook up?” I smiled before answering.

          “Hey, it was love at first sight. You should just make your move on Sami already.” I said, and Kyle turned bright red.

          “I’ll ask her out eventually.” I bent down and whispered in Kara’s ear.

          “He’s totally jealous.” Kara laughed. Kyle walked away. “Come on though, we have to hide.” I tugged her towards an empty house and we explored. “Let’s go to the attic.” We ran up the stairs and found the entrance to the attic. We climbed in and closed it again. We settled in the moonlight from the window under a table. Kara whispered something in my ear.

          “Thank you for helping me.” And she snuggled up against me. I bent down and whispered to her.

          “A promise for you. I will love you forever Kara, and I will always protect you.” She looked up at me and stared at me before angling her head up and kissing me, before snuggling back into my arms. I smiled and looked back out into the moonlight.