Chapter 3: P.O.V. Sami

Tristan led us throughout the empty streets for a couple more hours, when the sun started to get close to the horizon. We had to hurry, find a house, and hide before sunset so that we would be well hidden before the Angels came.  We eventually found a house that would suit our needs. But as I looked through the house… I found something, blood. I found a trail of it.

          “Kyle. KYLE!” His head appeared in front of me.

          “What?” I pointed silently at the ground. He turned and saw the trail. We followed it until we hit a wall.

          “It… it just disappears…” I said.
          “Hmm…” Kyle stepped forward towards the wall, and knocked on it. “It’s hollow… fake wall.” He bent down and felt along the base, found a crack, and lifted up, revealing something curled up. He looked at me, before he walked towards it.

                                                It was a girl…

          She was covered in blood, and was bruised and swollen, but you could tell that she was beautiful. Her blond hair was in knots, her clear blue eyes bloodshot, and her clothes were torn and bloody. She looked at us, tensing up, but when she looked at our eyes, she calmed down. And she would have stayed that way if somebody (Tristan) hadn’t stuck his head in between ours, looked at her, and grinned. When she saw his eyes, she shrieked, and curled into a fetal position.

          I turned and glared at Tristan. He backed away and went off to find a hiding place, while we tried to coax the girl out of a fetal position. I looked outside, it was about to be nightfall. I glanced over at Kyle and saw that he was looking out the window as well. I look inside the hidden area, and decided that it was big enough. I beckoned Kyle to follow me, and we went inside. He closed the wall behind us, and we went into total darkness. It was an awkward fit, but we made it work. I just tried to not let my mind wander to the fact that I was sitting on Kyle’s lap… or the fact that… never mind!

The girl’s head was on my lap. At first, I had no idea what to do. She had calmed down quite a lot… and her breathing had final slowed. So I decided to keep busy. I started untangling her hair. Eventually, Kyle got bored too, so he reached around me and helped. Again, tried to get my mind to not think about the fact that I was in his lap, or the fact that his arms were around me, or his face when he looked into my eyes… or that moment when it felt as though everything had been put on paused, and it was just the two of us, and nothing else mattered.

AHHHHHHHHHHHH!

        After about 4 hours, we heard the door upstairs open. We froze, and I felt the girl’s breath pick up. I petted her head, calming her down. I felt Kyle’s arms around me tighten, and his heart beat picked up, and I felt my own race as well. The person upstairs came into the basement, and we heard them walk until they stopped.

In front of our wall.

          Now, isn’t it ironic how you remember to do things AFTER it’s important to do them? Well, I had one of those moments when I realized I didn’t clean up the blood, so there was a clear track leading right to us. Great. I turned my head around and looked at Kyle. He was silent, not even breathing. He was staring at the wall, but must have felt my gaze because he turned to look me in the eyes.