Chapter 12: P.O.V. Kyle

We waited a couple minutes for something to happen, anything… just waiting for something. And something did happen. We heard a scream. A terrified, high pitched scream of pure terror. Kara was dead. I turned to look at Sami, who was looking at me with tears in her eyes. She hugged me.

          “I’ve never told you something Kyle… and I will just tell you now. I had a time limit on the earth… how long I would live… and it ends today, in a couple minutes…” She started crying. I hugged her back and petted her hair. She calmed down.

          “”It’s ok Sami… I’ll tell you what I’ve never told you… I love you Sami… I have since the first day I met you.” She smiled.

          “Really?”

          “Yes, really.”

          “Well that’s good, because I love you too.” She said. I looked at her, and smiled. And I hugged her close.

          “I love you Sami.”

          “And I…” She didn’t get to finish her sentence. She started turning to gold dust… her hands blew away in the wind. Then her arms and legs… then all of her but her face… She looked at me sadly and her mouth opened to say something, but then the gold dust reached it and she disappeared forever. I stood up and looked at the sky, where the gold still danced in the wind.  I turned towards the doors, and thought about what Tristan said. ‘Keep your promise Kyle.’ That means I have to kill him. I look at the doors, and I broke through the lock and opened the door. In the throne, was Tristan.

          He was lounging in it, with his legs thrown over one of the arms, his arms over the other. His black wings were out behind him. I scanned the room for Kara, and I nearly choked. Her body was in the middle of the aisle to the throne, her brown eyes lifeless and unmoving. A single tear trailed down her face. I looked back up at Tristan.

          “Hello little brother. What are you doing here?” he asked getting up and walking down the aisle towards me.

          “I’m here to keep a promise.” I said.

          “A promise? Oh my little brother. I guess I should tell you something. I have not taste for promises now.” He came to Kara’s body, and he kicked her body out of the way and continued walking.

          “Yes well, I have to keep that promise Tristan.” I drew my knife. Tristan laughed.

          “Then so be it.” And he drew his own knife.