Chapter 16: A Fragment of Her Past Part I

I fell from the hill outside the VIllage of Grandia. I tried to swim and bring myself up to the surface to get some air but I can't seem to be able to do it. The waves are too strong because of the storm. I just get on with the flow of the water and let it push me side by side. I can't breathe and I can feel that I am starting to lose consciousness. Is this the way I will die? Will I just die here without having the chance to know my past? They say when a person is dying, his memories will show up, maybe it will happen to me too.

I can see clear water, there's a little girl standing in front of it. It was a very nice weather, suddenly, a boy showed up behind her. She looked so happy when she saw him. There was a castle not very far from there. The two of them are playing, they were so happy. I felt a sense of nostalgia by looking at them. They went to a riverbank; the boy showed the girl a nest under the bridge made of wood, the nest can be seen through the wooden flooring of the bridge.

"They were so cute", the girl said.

"Didn't I tell you? Those birds are immigrants from a very far land you see, they were hibernating here", the boy said.

“It must be great to be a bird”, the girl said.

“Huh? Why did you say so?”, the boy asked.

“Someday, I want to be free to travel around the world like the bird, I want to go somewhere far from here”, the girls said.

“Then, can I go with you too?”, the boy asked.

“Of course, we will travel together, the two of us”, the girl said.

“Let’s go together then”, the boy said.

“Promise?”, the girl asked.

“Promise”, the boy replied. They made a seal by crossing their pinkie together. They laughed at the promise they made.

As I watched the two of them together, I felt very happy. What is this I am seeing? What a good thing to see before I die, I thought to myself.

There was a sudden storm and the two kids returned to the bridge where they saw the bird.

“It’s too dangerous here”, the boys said.

“Yes, that’s why we need to help them”, the girl replied. She balanced herself from the railings of the bridge and reached as long as she can to get the nest.

“Be careful”, the boy said He was holding the rope to support the girl. When she caught the nest, she gave it to the boy. He secured the nest on the bridge and held tightly to the rope to help the girl get up from the railings but the girl lost her balance and she slipped from the railing. She fell but got caught by the rope the boy was holding. I was running towards them to help him pull the rope but I can’t touch it neither the boy. I can’t do anything. My touch passes through everything I wanted to touch.

“Hey, are you ok? Can you pull yourself up?”, the boy asked.

“I’ll try”, the girl said. Just when she was almost at the railing, the rope snapped and she fell from the water.

“JUVIA!!!”, the boy screamed. What? What did he call the girl? Why did she have the same name as me? What will happen to her now? Does this mean that I am seeing my past? I can’t think so straight, I was focused on looking for the girl who fell on the river.

“JUVIA, JUVIA WHERE ARE YOUUU?”. The boy shouted running beside the river.

Just then, the boy stopped and I saw a light coming from the river. It is coming up towards the surface. There was a sphere made of water and a magic circle built up under it. No way! This was magic. I saw the girl inside the water sphere, she seemed unconscious.

“Juvia, I’m coming”, the boy shouted. He made a pose and then a magic circle has built under him. He touched the water and the water turned into ice, making a way towards the water sphere. He can do Ice Magic! I said to myself.

When he reached her, he made the sphere into ice and breaks it to free her. He caught her in his arms and carried her back to land. He laid her on the ground and waited. Suddenly, the girl coughed and opened her eyes. Thank goodness she’s alright.

“You saved me”, she said.

“Oh Juvia! Thank goodness you’re alright!”, the boy said and hugged her due to relief and she hugged him back.

It wasn’t long before some guards came running towards them.

“Your highnesses”, the guards shouted towards them. There were two people came running behind the guards.

“Oh good thing you both are alright, never do that again to me Juvia”, said the woman who hugged the girl when they reached them. There was a man standing behind them. He went directly to where the boy is.

“I suppose you saved her, thank you...”, I can’t hear the last part of what that man is saying because I feel something is pulling me. Wait! What happened? I want to know, is it me? Who is the boy, Prince Gray? Those people, were they my parents? There is a lot of questions on my mind I wanted answers. What is happening to me now?