14-The Feast

CATO'S P.O.V

Four little cuts sit sadly on each of my palms. I wonder what Finch is doing right now. She's got some of my supplies, but I doubt they'll last her. She'll be starving. I'm starving too.

Apples do not satisfy. I spot a few leaves that look hardly edible, and I decide I won't take the chance, only picking the ones I fully recognise. I'm fresh out of food, and I have no idea how to set snares or hunt with a tiny knife and a sword. Any animal would have to be dangerously close for me to use them, and I'm too fidgety to wait for animal company. I'll starve before they get close and then they can eat me.

That's when I hear a rustle in the trees. I spin around, looking for any sign of human life.

Thresh stands there, scythe in hand, blood covering the half side of his face.  He doesn't look happy, but he makes no sign to move.

'Hello.' I say calmly.

'I'm here to offer a deal.' He booms, ignoring my welcome. Seeing my confused expression, he continues. 'I need help.'

I laugh out loud, but stop when I see Thresh's still infuriated expression. 'Come again?' I snicker.

'Your little friend stole all of my food.' 

I pause. 'Who?'

'Uh, the redhead.' 

I can't help but smile. 'And?'

'Look, I'm starving to death. I'm sure you are too, judging from your amount of stuff. And the girl from your district.. I saw her. She's a bag of bones.' He pauses. 'If we die of starvation, it won't be a good show.'

I scoff. 'So what if it's not a good show? They can't punish us any more than they already have.'

'No. What I mean is.. The Gamemakers don't want a bad show.' He says, smirking.

'I know that. Your point being?' I ask curiously.

'Well, they're going to hold a feast, aren't they? We both want the same thing. I'll run and get it, you protect the rest of a supplies. Call it an alliance.. For now.'

I grin, and hold out my hand cautiously. He takes it in his and we shake. 'For now.' I say.

As if on cue, the familiar rustle of a microphone fills every corner of the arena.

'Congratulations, tributes! Only six of you left! It's getting closer!' The voice announces jollily. As we'd both expected, he invites us to a feast. 'Each of you will find that something in a backpack, marked with your district number, at the Cornucopia at dawn. Think hard about refusing to show up. For some of you, this will be your last chance,' says the ever-friendly Claudius Templesmith.

Me and Thresh exchange a hungry glance, and sit by a tree-log, formulating Thresh's plan.

****

FOXFACE'S P.O.V

I sit at a large boulder, taking in what i've just heard. Surely it's just another excuse for a bloodbath? But I know it's no use not going. I'll die without food.

Even after stealing the boy from 11's supplies, I'm starving myself trying to pace out my eating habits. The chicken looked gorgeous. I must admit it was less impressive when I realised it had to be cooked. But I did manage to cook it enough so it was edible. Every hour I'd set a fire somewhere different, cook a little at a time. I tried doing it in the trees so I could just climb up whenever that little cow Clove came searching. Cato mustn't have noticed, and Thresh isn't the brightest. I stole his food literally straight behind his back. Literally.