Chapter Five - Expecting The Worse

Copyright © 2013 BYEconnort  - All Rights Reserved

 The walk to the McDonough’s house was quick but my mother had been begging me to take my ear monstrosities off the whole time. I ignored her wishes and sped up my pace with the cake in my hands. Not that I was remotely excited for this, I just wanted to get this over with and see how it works out. I can’t avoid them forever, as much as I wanted to.

When we finally got to their front porch, I pressed my finger over their doorbell as I got nervous flutters in the pit of my stomach. While we waited for them to answer the door, I heard bits of commotions here and there. Joan was saying something urgent, while male voices responded with groans. My mom couldn’t help herself and fixed the small tangles I got in my hair from the wind outside. I couldn’t push her hands away with the container in my hand. Funny how we were all fussing over this.

Then all the noises from inside toned down and there was silence. It was silent enough that I heard the click of the doorknob being opened, and I swear, at that moment, I wanted to take off and run back to our house, or maybe just hide in a bush until it was all done.

Before the door was fully open, I took a step back and partially hid myself behind my mother’s back.

The door revealed a quite flustered Joan and she greeted us with much enthusiasm and welcomed us into their home. My mom did most of the talking and greeting back. The two women had an energetic conversation as we stepped inside the threshold.

“Come in, come in. Mark and the boys are in the living room,” she says and ushers us away from the hall.

The room fell silent for a few seconds when we entered the room, maybe out of surprise, I wasn’t so sure. But it was easily broken by the three adults as they talked again, the usual questions thrown around.

Two out of three of the McDonough brothers stood beside their father and I must say, they changed a lot too in the past few years. But there was certainly one thing in common among them; they were both more gorgeous than ever. And maybe that was an understatement. They’ve matured pretty well and they were all taller now that I would seem a lot smaller beside them. Connor and Riley were talking in hushed tones to each other. I strained to hear what they were talking about, but to no avail.

I guess at this point, they’ve already noticed and recognized me. Their faces definitely showed it.

“Audrey?” a deep voice came from behind me. I turned around to face the owner of it and discovered Toby with a huge smile plastered on his face.

I immediately softened at the sight of him. I didn’t have any siblings and I used to treat him like a baby brother of mine.

“Hey little buddy,” I said with a genuine smile and ruffled his hair affectionately.

“I’m taller than you now, so you can’t call me that anymore,” he says with a small laugh. I chuckled at him because it was true. He gained a lot of height from the last time I saw him; so technically, I’m the little one now.

“The magic of puberty, huh?” I shook my head, the smile never leaving my face.

“It’s good to have you back. We missed you,” he says sincerely. Count on Toby to be so sweet.

“I’m glad I am,” I responded. It wasn’t a lie.

“By the way, Joan, Audrey and I made some cake for tonight’s dinner. I hope it fits your menu though,” my ears tuned into their conversation when I heard my name being mentioned.

“Oh my, you shouldn’t have gone through all that trouble.”

“Nonsense, it’s the least we can do.”