chapter five

// I attempted to draw Dan and Phil from moods but idk if I like it but still maybe it can make you feel better about your art bc it's so sh*t lol //

dan

Dan can't work out why Phil Lester would ever want to be his friend.

Nevertheless, here Phil is, beside him even after Dan cried half of the Pacific Ocean onto his shoulder. He's horrified when he finally lets go to see a giant damp patch on Phil's top.

"Uh- s-sorry! I-I'm s-so sorry!" Dan stammers, drying his eyes with his own sleeve this time, "I just- I-I'm sorry!"

"It's okay Dan, I don't mind, seriously,"  Phil laughs lightly, gently placing his hand on Dan's shoulder, "you're my friend yeah?"

"I-uh-b-but..." Dan stammers, "w-why?"

"Because Dan, I told you. I don't like seeing you so alone. You belong here, and I'm going to prove that you do," Phil says, smiling at Dan.

"Y-you'd d-do that?" Dan asks with wide eyes.

"Yes I would, you deserve to be here as much as everyone else," Phil says.

"E-even w-without a-a m-m-mood?" Dan asks quietly, his eyes on the ground and cheeks pink with shame.

"Especially without a mood," Phil says warmly, "do you want to hang out after school?"

"R-really?" Dan asks with wide eyes, looking up into Phil's warm blue ones, "w-with me?"

"Yes, with you. Are you in?" Phil asks with a raised eyebrow and a smile.

"Y-yes," Dan says with a small smile.

"Good, meet me here after school then," Phil says, "we can hang out at my house, get to know each other better."

"O-okay," Dan stammers, unsure whether this is a joke on him, he half expects Phil to turn around and say 'ha, you thought I'd actually want to be friends with an emotionless freak?!'.

But Phil just smiles at him again before walking to his next class. Dan walks the other way, heading to his own classroom, sitting up the back again in the corner.

As he sits at his desk, doodling absentmindedly on his open page, Dan thinks of Phil, trying to process what actually just happened. Phil spoke to him, he was nice, he invited Dan to hang out after school...

No matter how many times Dan replays the scenario inside of his head, he always draws to the same, shocking conclusion;

That he, Dan Howell - the resident emotionless weirdo - may have just made a friend.

***

To say Dan is nervous as he waits for Phil is the understatement of the century, perhaps millennium.

His palms are sweating, his hair, due to a nervous sweat, had begun to curl horrendously, his hands are shaking slightly and his stomach is twisted into an uncomfortable knot.

His mind won't shut up either, which isn't unusual for him, but at this moment it really isn't helping him. Not that his mind ever makes him feel better anyway...

What if he doesn't show? What if he does show with the school behind him to laugh at you? What if... His mind is whispering to him.

But Phil's mood would've given that away, wouldn't it? It was bright sun the whole time, so he felt happy. That isn't the mood for when you're lying to someone.

But then again, what the hell does Dan know about moods? He doesn't even have one so he is far from an expert on them. No one knows much about them except they show your emotions. You can't touch moods, your hand will go right through them.