Pagan Spirit: 1991-2011

2 DECADES OF FOLK METAL

Since the 80's, Black Metal (and later also Death Metal) bands started to introduce Pagan lyrical themes into their music, praising nature, the old ways, and Norse or Celtic mythology. This new kind of Extreme Metal, where sometimes folk instruments were added into the Black and Death sound, was simply called Pagan Metal.

This Pagan Metal, has remained mostly in the Black Metal underground, and will be a story for another time.

In this chapter, we focus on bands that took the folk influences way further than their Extreme Metal counterparts...

Since the start of the 90s, new bands started to mix traditional Folk instruments and singing styles, together with traditional lyrical thems, with Heavy and even Power Metal. The British band Skylad was the first to pioneer this new Folk Metal genre.

Soon after, multiple subgenres of Folk Metal started to form (based on lyrical themes or what particular traditional folk music was the key influence – which was often tied to the band's place of origin). Most prominently were Pagan Folk Metal (to make things a little complex from a terminology perspective, as this music is quite different from the aforementioned Pagan Metal) and Medieval Folk Metal.

The former was driven by bands like the Celtic inspired bands Cruachan and Waylander, the latter became very popular in Germany with bands like Subway To Sally and In Extremo.

Today there are many different kinds of Folk Metal, and quite a few bands chose to sing in their native tongue, which adds to the traditional feel of the music. What all of these styles have in common, is the storytelling which is so typical for Folk Music. Each song is a tale on its own... Oh, and drinking... A lot of songs about drinking!

Maybe no other band has incorporated both these sides in their music as successfully as the spearhead of the Folk Metal explosion in the early 21st century: the Finnish pagans Korpiklaani. Combining songs about Shamanism with simple party anthems, the band has become a household name in the world of Heavy Metal.

Needless to say, this playlist of the Essential Folk Metal is best enjoyed with multiple drinking horns filled with mead. Enjoy!

Playlist:

01. Skylad: The Widdershins Jig (1991)

02. Subway To Sally: Julia Und Die Räuber (1996)

03. In Extremo: Herr Mannelig (1999)

04. Moonsorrow: Sankarihauta (2001)

05. Korpiklaani: Wooden Pints (2003)

06. Cruachan: The Old Woman In The Woods (2006)

07. Finntroll: Trollhammaren (2004)

08. Skylad: Another Drinking Song (2004)

09. Korpiklaani: Happy Little Boozer (2006)

10. Cruachan: Cuchulainn (2006)

11. Svartsot: Lokkevisen (2007)

12. Eluveite: Inis Mona (2008)

13. Heidevolk: Saksenland (2008)

14. Waylander: Walk With Honour (2008)

15. Arkona: Yarilo (2009)

16. Korpiklaani: Väkirauta (2006)

17. Wintersun: Time (2012)