High Voltage: 2000-2014

WHEN THE BAD BOYS PARTY

During most of the 90's, popular Alternative Rock and Metal was mostly focused on serious matters and personal issues. Grunge, Groove Metal, Death Metal, ... There was little upbeat music for headbangers looking for a party.

This changed at the turn of the century.

Following in the footsteps of Rock 'n' Roll and Hair Metal bands that played the L.A. Sunset Strip in the 80's a whole new generation of Hard Rock and Metal bands arrived to the scene. These bands played Hard Rock and Heavy Metal heavily influenced by AC/DC, Rockabilly, N.W.O.B.H.M., but mostly by 80's Glam Metal.

This new energetic subgenre was named Sleaze Rock/Metal.

Although most bands have created a modern sound and look, like Buckcherry or Rev Theory, some bands completely copy their 80's heroes like Diemonds or Steel Panther (the latter in a comic tribute or even parody way).

Well into the middle of this Sleaze Metal explosion, one event in particular embodied the movement: the return of the scene's ultimate heroes: Guns 'N' Roses. After what felt like a million years, finally there was the new album. 'Chinese Democracy' was the most expensive Rock album ever made (it cost over 13 million dollars to produce).

Naturally (how could it not?) it failed to meet expectations of fans worldwide. It didn't sell nearly as much as hoped, but in the end, it was a commercial success reaching Platinum and Gold certifications worldwide. And more-over: the album actually was pretty good (yeah, that might be and unpopular opinion sometimes, but I don't care!).

More importantly, it rejuvenated Axl and his troops. Eventually Mr. Rose even reunited with his former buddies Slash and Duff...

But it's not just about old bands trying to capture their former glory. It's about new bands! As expected many of these hail from California, but the scene has seen an explosion in Scandinavia with the likes of Hardcore Superstar, Backyard Babies, the all-female outfit Crucified Barbara and youngsters Santa Cruz.

I hope you've got some energy, because it's time to party hard!

Playlist:

01. Chrome Division: The Second Coming (2008) - intro

02. Chrome Division: Booze, Broads And Beelzebub (2008)

03. Airborne: Too Much Too Young Too Fast (2007)

04. Hardcore Superstar: Rock 'N' Roll Start (2000)

05. Silvertide: Ain't Coming Home (2004)

06. Andrew W.K.: Party Hard (2001)

07. Backyard Babies: The Kids Are Right (2001)

08. Santa Cruz: We Are The Ones To Fall (2014)

09. Guns 'N' Roses: Chinese Democracy (2008)

10. Brides Of Destruction: Shut The Fuck Up (2004)

11. Bonafide: Doin' The Pretty (2012)

12. Rev Theory: Hell Yeah (2008)

13. Massive: One By One (2014)

14. Steel Panther: It Won't Suck Itself (2011)

15. Diemonds: Take On The Night (2011)

16. Hardcore Superstar: Have You Been Around (2000)

17. Buckcherry: Alone (2000)

18. Crucified Barbara: Sex Action (2008)

19. Slash: World On Fire (2014)

20. Godsmack: 1000hp (2014)

21. Monster Magnet: Unbroken (2004)

22. Steel Panther: Death To All But Metal (2009)