Metallica: 1983-1988

THE FOUR HORSEMEN RIDE - THE BEST OF THE 80's

Do we really need to introduce this band to you? Books have been written about them, documentaries filmed, and we would be surprised there is a Metalhead out there who can't name every single one of their albums...

Metallica! Criticized, scrutinized, called sell-outs, and ultimately – let's drop the purism for a second and be totally honest here – loved by all.

Formed in 1981 in Los Angeles by Lars Ulrich & James Hetfield, the band moved to San Francisco a year later where they spearheaded the Bay Area Thrash scene. They released their 1st Gold Album in 1986: their ultimate classic Master Of Puppets (today their earlier albums are also certified multi-platinum). Metallica were an unstoppable force by the mid 80's. But then fate struck...

While touring in September 1986, their bus got off the road. Lars, James, and guitarist Kirk Hammett survived the crash, but gifted bass player Cliff Burton was killed. Cliff had been a very influential member of the band, and for a moment Metallica – and the Metal world – were insecure about the future of the rising stars of the genre.

However, after a few months of mourning and with the blessing of Cliff's family, the band sought a replacement. Flotsam And Jetsam bass player Jason Newsted was recruited. He would be the target of non-stop hazing and finally leave the band again in 2001, but with his addition in the late 80's the band continued to grow.

In 1988, they released their 4th album '...And Justice For All' and also their first ever music video (for 'One'). This album was an instant success and propelled them from Metal stars into the mainstream.

By this time, the band had grown accustomed to being called sell-outs. A 'fan' even spat on Lars in 1988 because he was angry they became "too MTV" after releasing a video. Already at the release of 'Ride The Lightning' critics felt the band lost its Thrash crown to Slayer because they had written a ballad (the amazing 'Fade To Black'). The band didn't care. Lars simply challenged critics: "Pick up a guitar and do better than us."

Their biggest commercial success came in the 90's, following the release of their eponymous hit album (dubbed the 'Black Album'), and Metallica became the world's biggest Metal – and even Rock – band. Nevertheless, it is their formative 80's period featured on this playlist, that influenced Metal forever.

Playlist:

01. Kill 'Em All: Hit The Lights (1983)

02. Kill 'Em All: Motorbreath (1983)

03. Kill 'Em All: No Remorse (1983)

04. Creeping Death: Am I Evil? (1984)

05. Ride The Lightning: Fight Fire With Fire (1984)

06. Ride The Lightning: For Whom The Bell Tolls (1984)

07. Ride The Lightning: Fade To Black (1984)

08. Ride The Lightning: Trapped Under Ice (1984)

09. Master Of Puppets: Master Of Puppets (1986)

10. Master Of Puppets: Welcome Home (Sanitarium) (1986)

11. Master Of Puppets: Damage Inc. (1986)

12. ...And Justice For All: Blackened (1988)

13. ...And Justice For All: One (1988)