Saxon: 1979-1988

THE GOLDEN YEARS

Saxon was one of the leading N.W.O.B.H.M. bands, revitalizing Heavy Metal in the late 70's and early 80's.

During the 80's, they had significant commercial success as album after album made the charts in the UK and abroad.

Especially their first 6 studio albums (released between 1979 and 1984 for Carrere Records) are considered their best work, even though they went on to mainstream commercial success after they moved to a major label in 1985.

Their major label debut 'Innocence Is No Excuse' saw a departure of the energized N.W.O.B.H.M. sound, as the band started to play more classic Heavy Metal and Hard Rock.

From the start of their career, Saxon merged the biker subculture with Heavy Metal, releasing many songs that praised the Iron Horse. Fan-favorite 'Wheels Of Steel' became an absolute anthem. As the band became one of the biggest Metal bands, they did not forget about their fans. The classic songs 'Denim And Leather' and 'And The Band Played On' (featured on the previous N.W.O.B.H.M. playlist) are tributes to the Saxon audience.

As classic Heavy Metal lost popularity in the 90's, so did Saxon unfortunately lose its prominence amongst the Metal elite. The new century would see some new albums that got universal acclaim, but that is for another chapter...

Throughout their career, Saxon was plagued by many lineup changes, leading to disputes over the band name in later years. Eventually, legal battles resulted in the spinoff of the so-called Oliver/Dawson Saxon, featuring the original guitar players. However, practically everyone regard tall band leader Biff Byford to be the soul of the true Saxon.

Biff is famous for his on-stage whistles to fire up a crowd, and today is still one of Heavy Metal's most iconic front men. Through the highs and lows of their career, Biff has continued to steer Saxon in the right direction. On this Essential Collection, we bring you back to their glorious early days. It'll be a hell of a ride!

Never surrender!

Playlist:

01. Saxon: Frozen Rainbow (1979)

02. Wheels Of Steel: Motorcycle Man (1980)

03. Wheels Of Steel: 747 (Strangers In The Night) (1980)

04. Wheels Of Steel: Wheels Of Steel (1980)

05. Strong Arm Of The Law: Heavy Metal Thunder (1980)

06. Strong Arm Of The Law: Strong Arm Of The Law (1980)

07. The Eagle Has Landed: 200000 ft. (live) (1982)

08. Denim And Leather: Princess Of The Night (1981)

09. Denim And Leather: Never Surrender (1981)

10. Denim And Leather: Denim And Leather (1981)

11. The Eagle Has Landed: Machine Gun (live) (1982)

12. Power & The Glory: Power And The Glory (1983)

13. Power & The Glory: Warrior (1983)

14. Power & The Glory: This Town Rocks (1983)

15. Crusader: Crusader (1984)

16. Crusader: Bad Boys (Live To Rock 'N' Roll) (1984)

17. Innocence Is No Excuse: Rock 'N' Roll Gypsy (1985)

18. Rock The Nations: Battlecry (1986)