Chapter 12

The only thing I could do was cower back in the corner of the boat, scared and afraid. I had heard stories of humans capturing merpeople, and keeping them in cages, studying our kind like we were some exotic species of fish. No, we were much more than that. Although we had tails, we were still people.

As I cowered in the corner of the boat, I heard footsteps running down the dock, getting closer and closer. I breathed fast and heavy, fearing what might happen to me. I closed my eyes tight, hoping this was all just a dream, and that I'd wake up in my comfy sponge bed under the sea.

"Emerald?!" A confused deep voice cracked as it said my name. It snapped me back into reality, reminding me that this was not a dream. This was real.

My eyes flew open, and there was Joel, wide-eyed and mouth open. It was then that I realized he was staring at my naked body. I blushed, trying to cover myself. My long, flowing hair somewhat helped cover me. I was humiliated. I looked down, and a tear rolled down my cheek.

"I, um...I'm so sorry Emerald, I-I just saw you...And you had a tail? I must be crazy, I..." Joel stuttered and trailed off. I could tell by the look on his face he knew that I saw him staring at my body. I couldn't speak, and when I tried, I started crying. It wasn't until Joel wrapped his warm jacket around me that I realized I had been shivering. The next thing I remember was that I was being carried in protecting, muscular arms, but that's all I remembered before I passed out.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hey y'all! Please feel free to comment below! I want to hear from y'all! Any ideas? Feel free to share! If you like this,

COMMENT!

VOTE!

FAN!

**Dedicating this chapter to the person who shares the most about how they feel so far about my book! Or who gives ideas! I love you guys!<3