Chapter 4

When morning came, My mermother woke me up.

"Get up, Emerald," she said and lifted my warm, seaweed blanket off me.

I groaned and put my arm over my eyes.

"Emerald, you have consequences for your disobedience, and if you don't obey right now I will be happy to give you more chores!" My mermother shouted angrily and I sighed.

"Chill, alright? I am getting up!" I got up out of my sponge bed and swam to my mirror, rubbing my eyes. My eel clock said the time was 5:30 AM. I groaned. I grabbed my bristle brush and brushed my long, flowing hair.

I swam out to the main cave area and my mermother and father sat on the dead white coral table. (which I thought was ugly to have a dead skeleton used to eat on.)

I swam to the kitchen without acknowledging them and grabbed two seaweed sticks, my usual breakfast, and sat on a rock.

"Emerald, your merfather and I are heading out for a party that our clients are having. It's work related, of course," she added, trying to make some kind of point that I didn't get.

"Ohhh, so you guys are going to a party while I stay here and do chores. That definetly seems fair," I said sarcastically.

"Emerald, that is enough! You knew there would be consequences, so you have no reason to complain. If I hear another word then you will be grounded! Now, your mermother set out a list of chores that you are to complete before we return home. No going out with merfriends, either. Have them done by the time we return," my merfather said. They left and I sat there, looking at the long list.

"Ok, I won't hang out with friends. Its not like I have any friends, anyway!" I said to myself and angrily crumpled up the list and threw it. I quietly swam out of the cave and headed for the barrier, wanting to escape this world forever.