Chapter 7

I grabbed on to anything I could and steadied myself.

I walked down the deck, and smiled, curious at everything around me.

My long hair flopped, it didn't flow. And I felt like I could go as far as I wanted to.

I skipped along, feeling more sturdy of my legs.

Then I lost my balance, raising my arms wildly in the air, close to taking a splash in the water.

Then, I was caught.

A strong hand grabbed me from behind, and I gasped when I was pulled back up, seeing that I was only inches away from hitting the water.

I looked up at my rescuer.

He had a startlingly handsome face, with deep blue eyes that sparkled under the lights. His face was strong, and he looked like he was my age, maybe older, but not that much older. His face was perfect, unlike any other face I had ever seen before.

"Are....are you ok? That was a close call, there. I am a lifeguard, thankfully, and I have lighting quick reflexes," he said with a laugh.

"Yes. I am fine. Thanks for saving me," I said still staring into his face with wonder.

He must have took it as shock, and he made a concerned face.

"I don't think you look ok. How bout' I take you to my place and I fix you up," he said with a smile.

"Umm.....ok sure," I said, not really knowing how else to respond.

He grabbed my arm gently and we went to his home, which was an apartment on the 2nd floor.

"Here we are," he said and opened the door for me. It was beautiful, just like its owner. Cream colored walls and sea shells, paintings of turtles, fish and dolphins. We sat on a couch and I closed my eyes, exhausted.

"Soo.... What's a stunningly beautiful girl doing outside, all alone, at this time of night?" he asked and I opened my eyes.

"Oh, and by the way, my name's Joel," he said with a grin on his face.

"Well, I like to sit on the harbor deck at night when it is all quiet and peaceful, and I like listening to the waves crash against the sides of the rocks," I told Joel.

It was partly true, and as much as I didn't want to lie, I had to.

"I do that too, you know, when your parents are fighting in their bedroom again and you just need to escape," Joel said with a sigh.

"Oh, and what is your name?" he asked me.

"It's Emerald."