Chapter 2

I swam high over the barrier, searching for an opening. The truth was, I was terrified. I didn't want to disobey the law, but on the other hand, I couldn't let the other mermaids and mermen see that I was scared.

I swam with new determination, looking for any slit I could slide through. I finally found a gap in the barrier, and I was small enough to squeeze through. It was tight, and I wriggled my tail, and ended up scraping my arm.

When I was through, i felt as though I was in a different world. The warmth of the water shocked me at first. It felt wonderful. The shimmering, aqua-blue water sparkled, reflecting on the crystal-clear sand that lie beneath me. As I swam, I noticed that the fish here consisted of many different colors. Dolphins sang to me in high pitched voices, and I laughed and waved to them.

I grabbed on their fins and they pulled me along. The coral reefs here were very alive and gleaming bright colors.

This place was so different than I had ever thought. I thought life here was ugly and bare. It is completely the opposite. As I swam along, holding the fins of the dolphins, I realized that I am very far away from the barrier. It looks like a little pebble from where I am. And even worse, it is getting dark. I can hardly even see anymore, and I am extremely exhausted.