Chapter 5

I swam quickly to the Barrier Rock, eager to escape this world and enter the exciting one that lie in front of me. I made sure no one was near and I found my escape hole and slid through easily.

I adjusted better to the warm, clear water this time. I smiled and laughed, almost completely forgetting that I was ever in trouble. I flipped around in the water, swimming through the coral reef and enjoying the creatures that abided here. I wished that I was one of those fish, free and happy in this beautiful place.

I swam on, determined to see what lie beyond this, and to just glimpse a human. In Sea School, I used to pretend I was a human. (Given the only few stories that were known about them.) I knew they would be beautiful and mysterious, already seeing the creatures that lived in these parts of the sea.

I soon came along a rocky ledge, and here the water was very shallow. I really wanted to find out if I could be a human, if I could have legs, or if it was all a myth. I searched and searched for a dip in the rocky ledge that I could pull myself up onto. I was almost about to give up and turn around when I saw something I could grab onto.

It was almost dark by now, but I couldn't turn back. My merparents would ground me for sure, so I wasn't exactly anxious to return home.