Chapter 2: Jack

Chapter 2: Jack.
Song: Counting stars.

Everyone settled on the ground for a long needed rest. Jack was worried about letting his guard down and sleeping. He had only known the group for a few days. But it wasn't that, it was being out in the wilderness with no protection. What if a wild animal came out of nowhere and killed them?
Of course now he was starting to sound like Hazel afraid of everything that cast a shadow...

Jack stared longingly into the black above him. He wasn't smiling but he wasn't frowning. He had a straight face as he looked at the starless night sky.

"We will get out of this ya know."
It was the voice of the short blonde, Bella. It was so dark all Jack could see were her shining blue eyes.
"How can you be so sure?" Jack said with a bit of anger.
He wasn't angry at Bella more or less angry at everything around him. He couldn't stay here.

"I just know..." Bella replied. What use was it to explain her trust in the unknown? He wouldn't understand and he would just shut her out.

"Why hasn't anyone been working on a plan to get outta here?!" Jack said, letting his anger get the best of him.

"Why do we need to leave so quickly?... I like it out here. It's simple. Unlike New York." Mikki said quietly.

"Yea well little miss sunshine, I don't. I have a football career on the line."

"Yea right Jack. One guy checking you out is not a football career. So what some guy likes your skill? Why base your life on something so trivial?"
Jet piped in.

"Trivial?! You think my life is trivial?" Jack was mad now.

"Not your life Jack. What you base your life on." Jet said. And with that he ended it not wanting to get in a heated argument when there were many things his angry twin could throw at him.

Jack fell back and laid down.

"Bella you still there?" He asked to nothingness.
No reply.

Jack sighed. He wasn't good with people. He probably scared off his only potential friend...and pretty girl.

Within minutes the gang was asleep. All except Jack. He laid down on his side a few feet away from anyone else.

Standing slowly and quietly Jack crept away from the makeshift 'camp ground'.

He sat down where the light was brightest from the few stars that lit the sky. It wasn't very bright but bright enough to make out the words on the page of the book he had taken from his brothers bag.
He had seen Hazel give it to Jet the day before and he obviously wasn't reading it right now.

The title of the book was written in black and it was too hard to see on the dark blue cover so he skipped that part. Don't judge a book by it's cover or it's title...

Jack began to read aloud as he often did.
"The bright jade color of the neckless stood out on Andreas pale skin."

Was this a chick novel?...
Oh well it's not like Jack minded. In the process he could just learn more about girls. He didn't see the harm.

Jack read for about half an hour before he heard something move. He saw something gold quickly disappear but when he looked closer nothing was there.

What he didn't know was that on the other side of the bush sat Bella, her heart racing because she was almost caught in her investigation. Find out who Jack truly is. He was hiding something and she was gonna find out.
She wanted to figure everyone out. There had to be a reason why they all ended up together.

Jack eventually put the book back in his brothers black bag in the same pocket of which he took it.
Then he decided to get some sleep.
Until he noticed someone missing and his Hazel senses (that's what he called paranoia now) shot up. He looked over everyone there.

Bella was sound asleep like a little angel.
Hazel was softly snoring in the corner.
Jet snored louder then the medium sized girl.
Mikki was slightly awake and staring at the now visible stars.
Destiny. She was missing.

"Destiny?" Jack quietly yell whispered.
No sign of her.

His breathing quickened.
He looked behind trees and and bushes.

It's okay, calm down.
He told himself. She had to be fine right?

Unless there were lions here. And snakes... Anything could happen.

"Shut up inner Hazel." Jack said quietly but not quiet enough.

"What?" Hazel asked groggily.

"Shhhhh. Hazel you're sleepy." Jack said. Hazels eyes slipped closed.

"What are you doing?" Bella asked, fully awake.

"Where is Destiny?" Jack asked finally giving up on being quiet.

"I don't know..." Bella asked as she stood up and began to get worried.

Bella and Jack looked at each other and instantly knew what the other was thinking.

The took off running together without even waking the rest of the gang.

"Destiny!" Bella yelled.
"Destiny!" They yelled in unison.

Bella came to a stop and was having trouble breathing due to her asthma. It had recently come back.

"Come on. Let's walk from here." Jack told her.
Bella nodded because she couldn't speak.

They heard a branch snap and they turned so fast they could've broken their necks.

"Destiny?" Jack asked in a hopeful and weak voice.

No reply.

"Des?" Bella asked again, using the cute nickname she had given her to make her feel more welcome.

No response.

Another branch snapped.